PDA

View Full Version : Wounded Gull { Warning Gruesome }

john crookes
03-31-2009, 01:48 PM
Was down at the end of Cape Cod over the weekend and came across this gull that looked very weird from the other side and finally noticed when it turned that the scalp was partially torn up off of it's skull.
I don't know if that is the reason for his feathers on his head to be so wild or not but the gull seamed ok otherwise and flew ok

Nikon D3
600mm F4
ISO 400
F8
1/2000th
Handheld

Ákos Lumnitzer
03-31-2009, 02:11 PM
It's interesting. Most likely an attack from another bird. One can only hope that infection will not develop. This is a great, illustrative natural history image as far as I am concerned, gruesome or not.

Incidentally, we had a local dove in care (since my wife and I are licensed wildlife rescuers/carers) that had the same thing happen to it as a fledgling. The rear half of the head was exposed to the bone from having been attacked by two predatory Currawongs that prey on small chicks amongst other food stuffs. I told my wife I doubt if the little one will survive the irst night. Yeah right. With a little TLC and some medication the little dove recovered and was released this past weekend, happily too.

Axel Hildebrandt
03-31-2009, 02:14 PM
Goodness, that is one nasty injury. Makes you wonder if the culprit was another gull or a bigger predator. The image could go a bit brighter for my taste.

denise ippolito
03-31-2009, 03:11 PM
I agree w/ lightening this image. It is so sad to see these things-hope he makes out okay!

Judy Lynn Malloch
03-31-2009, 03:15 PM
Incredible capture John and a very sad one to see. Hope it is able to survive this nasty injury.

Maxis Gamez
03-31-2009, 06:26 PM
Incredible....