PDA

View Full Version : The Final Exam

Joe Senzatimore
03-31-2009, 01:05 PM
Last day with Alan Murphy in Texas. We were asked to put our lessons taught from the workshop to use. We did our setups and were blessed by a visit from this beautiful specimen. Would not have had him look so good were it not for Alan's teachings. He is talented to no end and a great teacher as well. This workshop was worth everything we put into it.
800ISO f5.6 at 1/320th manual
Fill at minus2&2/3

Axel Hildebrandt
03-31-2009, 01:10 PM
This is (so far) the best image from your trip. Great soft light, setting, BG and exposure control. Maybe a bit NR on the BG and I would remove the little bright patch at the back of the head. Good to hear that you had a productive trip.

Mike Lentz
03-31-2009, 01:25 PM
Once again Axel steals my thunder! :) I agree 100% with what he said.

Grace Scalzo
03-31-2009, 01:30 PM
Agree with the above. I'm not crazy about the open cuts on the perch. The bird is lovely, so colorful and your bg is the perfect compliment.

LouBuonomo
03-31-2009, 01:42 PM
Sweet Joe, I think we all passed. I have the thorn marks to prove it !

Grady Weed
03-31-2009, 02:07 PM
Alex and Grace said it for the most part. I love the prepared perch, except for the cuts. :) The components of the perch I really like is the bunched leaves and their placement for the bird to perch in the clear. Fantastic light and use of flash.

Judy Lynn Malloch
03-31-2009, 03:20 PM
You learned well Joe and Alan is such a super guy. Love the whole composition and the beautiful color and lighting. Congratulations as it looks like you had a great trip with some awesome images. !!

Joe Senzatimore
03-31-2009, 07:46 PM
This is (so far) the best image from your trip. Great soft light, setting, BG and exposure control. Maybe a bit NR on the BG and I would remove the little bright patch at the back of the head. Good to hear that you had a productive trip.

My fault for doing PP on a laptop. Thanks for spotting that. Didn't see it here.

Ramon M. Casares
04-01-2009, 06:20 PM
I agree with Axel's comment! Very nice shot though.

Arthur Morris
04-12-2009, 02:57 PM
Lovely bird; what species? Like the soft light, the colors, and the sharpness. The o-o-f leaves (our left) are mildly distracting for me. How did you attract the bird to the perch?

Jay Gould
04-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Hi, nice to hear about positive results in workshops - must be the way to ramp up the learning curve.

Lovely image. I agree with Artie about the OOF leaves on the left.

Looking at the top of that bunch of leaves on the left, they seem to all of a sudden divide from a right side dark grouping to some significantly lighter leaves to the left of the dark small leaves. Perhaps a crop removing the light leaves and everything to the left of those light leaves would remove some of the OOF left side. The crop line would be at about the "J" in your watermark name.

I realize it would move the bird closer to center. Just a thought .............

Cheers, Jay