PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Owl at Sunrise

Axel Hildebrandt
03-31-2009, 11:31 AM
This is a dream come true. I always hoped to get a snowy owl image in very soft light and got really lucky this morning when I found this snowy owl sitting in the dunes right at sunrise and he was quite cooperative. I started out at ISO 1600 and went to 800 for this image.

It was also great to meet Grace Scalzo who was also there.

http://www.pbase.com/axelhi/image/110810017/original.jpg

1D3, 500f4, 1.4x, 1/160s, f/8, EC +0.33, ISO 800

Randy Stout
03-31-2009, 11:36 AM
Axel:

A beauty indeed. Technicals all look good. I like the composition, nice look back pose with great eye contact.

The only minor point would be the grasses touching the bird on our left. All the others work great as environment and framing.

I didn't know that this bird came down to Penn. We very rarely get them in lower Michigan, but I have never seen them personally.

Congratulations!

Randy

Nancy A Elwood
03-31-2009, 11:50 AM
Axel, your image gives the point about that light is everything a new meaning. The light compliments the bird in every way. The composition, eye contact and PP lovely! Big congrads!

Graham Smith.
03-31-2009, 11:51 AM
Very nice Axel,
I really like the warm lighting, details (esp feather shafts), and habitat. I've seen a few photos now of snowies on sand, although a little surprised at first, I guess it makes it perfect sense!

Well done!

David Roach
03-31-2009, 12:11 PM
Sweet light, details and composition!!! Congratulations!

Bruce Gove
03-31-2009, 12:13 PM
Very purty indeed Axel - You've got it all covered here IMHO..

Cheers,

Bruce

denise ippolito
03-31-2009, 12:40 PM
Axel, The light is amazing! Beautiful colors and detail-Congratulations!

Grace Scalzo
03-31-2009, 12:48 PM
Yes, lovely image!

Axel Hildebrandt
03-31-2009, 12:49 PM
I didn't know that this bird came down to Penn. We very rarely get them in lower Michigan, but I have never seen them personally.

Congratulations!

Randy

There were several reports from New Jersey and Pennsylvania this winter. This was in New York, though.

Stu Bowie
03-31-2009, 12:56 PM
Sweet light Axel, and the tones and colours in this are simply amazing. I would like to know why these owls prefer the sandy beaches, and arent perched in trees. Ive seen quite a few images of these snowy's on this site, and some of the others have been down on the beach too. Would really like to know. BTW, very well captured, and what a great sighting Axel.

Axel Hildebrandt
03-31-2009, 01:04 PM
Sweet light Axel, and the tones and colours in this are simply amazing. I would like to know why these owls prefer the sandy beaches, and arent perched in trees. Ive seen quite a few images of these snowy's on this site, and some of the others have been down on the beach too. Would really like to know. BTW, very well captured, and what a great sighting Axel.

That is a very good question, maybe some ornithologists can pitch in. My guess is that they are used to living in the treeless tundra. They seem to prefer slightly elevated areas where they have a 360 degree view.

Brian Wong
03-31-2009, 01:39 PM
Hi Axel!

I really like the direct eye contact, with the eye color complementing the nice warm background tones. Congratulations on achieving your dream!

Art Kornienko
03-31-2009, 06:25 PM
Killer light for sure and bg and other colours make it a winner. Did you try runnning NR on bg, or is it not required?

Axel Hildebrandt
03-31-2009, 06:41 PM
Killer light for sure and bg and other colours make it a winner. Did you try runnning NR on bg, or is it not required?

Thanks, Art. I only used 'despeckle' on the BG.

Ian McHenry
03-31-2009, 06:59 PM
Hi Axel
Thought I'd check out your image to remind me of the first time I saw and photographed one of these beauties many years ago.
I was intrigued with the birds ability to rotate it's head from front to back !!!
Your post is just brilliant. A stunning portrait.
Love the composition and colour.
Another great plug for getting out early in the morning.
Cheers: Ian Mc

Adams Serra
03-31-2009, 07:57 PM
Hi Axel,
Amazing light and beautiful bird. I believe this is the best Snowy image of the season.

Marina Scarr
03-31-2009, 11:38 PM
I concur with Adams that this is probably the best Snowy Owl to date in this forum. The stunning light, amazing detail in the feathers, composition and complimentary habitat kick this image up several notches. Thank you for sharing.

Tony Kirkby
04-01-2009, 06:11 AM
This is an absolute stunner, after seeing many Snowy Owl images on this forum some (lots) of which are exceptional, this is simply over the top!

Chris van Rooyen
04-01-2009, 07:59 AM
Indeed a dream image Axel! I would remove the grass stem touching the owl on the left (very minor nit!)

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-01-2009, 02:26 PM
At first I was thinking a vertical would probably work better, then realized that those OOF grasses on both sides at the back frame your owl perfectly. The light is incredible the pose and rendition of the scene are beyond words I can express. I love this image Axel. :)

Mark Dumbleton
04-03-2009, 07:51 AM
Absolutely Stunning! One of the best Avian shots I have ever seen!
The light on this is PERFECT! Super exposure and detail.
Well done and congrats on a super capture!

Saravana Gurusamy
08-15-2009, 11:10 AM
Dream image indeed! Love the light, species, head turn, inclusion of the habitat... love everything about it! TFS!