PDA

View Full Version : Double sunrise: Black Skimmer

Daniel Cadieux
03-30-2009, 06:27 PM
The reason for the title? Although hard to see in this shrunken web version, the sunrise is clearly visible in two spots here...once in the eye, and another time in the accumulated water drop at bill-tip. This Black Skimmer was the lone one of it's species in the middle of a mixed flock of Laughing Gulls and Royal Terns. Hard to isolate, but by moving one step closer once in a while the flock would shift positions...eventually it was the Skimmers's turn to be out in the open. It didn't last long as it wedged itself right back in the middle of the flock, but not before I was able to snap a few frames.:cool: Taken at Ft. Desoto last month.

Canon 40D + 100-400L @400mm, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/400s., f/7.1, ISO 640, +1 EC metered off the water and histogram checked, handheld, full frame. The reds in the bill and legs have been desaturated as they were clearly way too much out of camera.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w98/dancad/tn_BlackSkimmer_1003-01.jpg

Randy Stout
03-30-2009, 06:45 PM
Daniel:

Your skimmer is very nice. Razor sharp, great detail in the bill,nice exposure. I think you got the reds right.

I like the composition, might add just a smidge to the left.

I really appreciate the back story. Both about the sunrises, but also how you worked the scene. It is a valuable lesson.

Cheers.

Randy

Axel Hildebrandt
03-30-2009, 06:56 PM
I like the details, light and composition. Some of the reds and whites are a bit hot.

James Shadle
03-30-2009, 08:32 PM
Daniel,
Very cool capture of a Black Skimmer.
The sunrise eye is awesome! The image is sharp and the exposure looks good on my monitor.
The invisible horizon must be straight with no mention of it from Axel:).

I like the placement in the frame, but feel a little more room at the bottom would make this a stronger image.

You really scored in FLA!

James

Stu Bowie
03-31-2009, 01:27 AM
Pin, pin sharp, and the exposure looks fine to me. Well done in showing the sunrise in the eye. I would also add a bit to the bottom. Congrats on an outstanding image.

Ákos Lumnitzer
03-31-2009, 05:27 AM
An enlighting read on the session, albeit brief as you said. An exceptional image and compostionally I find it very strong. Great sharpness and colors. Fab mate, just fab. :)