PDA

View Full Version : GHO on the Nest

Kim Rollins
03-30-2009, 05:55 PM
During Spring Break we took a 5 day tour of Oregon Parts. Positive ID made on 72 species of birds, weather varied from sun to snow and everything in between. High winds in places prevented some desired activity and Kayak never came off the top of the vehicle. Having it there was good though as it allowed me a platform to get this image from.

http://www.pbase.com/kwr_01/image/110705862.jpg
E-3 500 mm 1/320 sec f/9 ISO 250
Metering Mode center weighted (2) Exposure Program manual (1)

I returned as darkness fell to watch and listen as the Mate came in to change places on the nest. Wonderful experience and the hooting and the answers were cool to here. I did take a couple of shots with a Better Beamer as the pair set in a bare tree too.

Ed Cordes
03-30-2009, 08:43 PM
Cool half asleep expression with good detail. I wish the stuff in the BG wern't there.

Randy Stout
03-30-2009, 08:49 PM
Kim:

Thanks for all the back story. It always adds a lot for me.

A tough situation here because of the angle on inclination, the birds hunkered down pose, and the bright background. The exposure looks pretty good, with maybe just a little hot area over the birds right eye. The right eye area is a bit sharper than the left, but I am surprised by this based on your f stop.

The clutter of the nest is a bit distracting, but the most challenging issue for me is the large dark trunk in the background. If your photo ethics allow, I would try and downplay the trunk by dodging it, desatting, cloning, etc.

Thanks again for sharing.

Randy

Ákos Lumnitzer
03-31-2009, 05:41 AM
I too, like to read a bit of background about how an image was created. Thanks for sharing the joys of your experience Kim. While arguably not a blow-my-socks-off image (sorry) I love the natural setting and those watchful eyes. Hope to see some of the pair if you're willing to share.

Thanks for sharing (again) this one.

Kim Rollins
03-31-2009, 11:00 AM
Hi Folks,
Thanks you all for dropping by and your C & C too.
Ed and Randy - the BG bothers me some too but I was very limited in the POV to chose from. I have made several attempts to improve or remove the BG here but so far I call those attempts 'failures'. I am struggling with getting a good selection and that dark branch has me stumped, dodging it made a 'mess'. This one though giving me fits is a good one for me to learn new techniques on and I will return to it, techniques and tricks I would usually use for BG change or replacement have so far failed me miserably. ;-( When I have a bit more time I will try something else, I know it is not a "wow image" so time spent on it is more of a learning experience then anything else.

Ákos thanks for your comment. I knew it was not a "blow-my-socks-off image" when I posted it but the owls always excite me. I welcome critical critique as that is how I learn and better my imaging and there is 'no reason for an apology'. I always want honest opinions and the "cold hard truth" to consider. ;-) Thank you.