PDA

View Full Version : New Mexico Western Bluebird

Brian E. Small
01-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Hi Gang,

Just wanted to say "hi" and thanks to you all for creating this great new place to share ideas and images. I did a recent trip to New Mexico for about a week and spent most of my time trying to create images of birds other than Snow Geese and Sandhill Cranes. Hard to resist those "easy" subjects at Bosque but if you take the time to look, there can be many more species to photograph in the vicinity. This image was created in the Cibola National Forest with a Canon 1D IIn, 600 IS, 1.4x TC and late afternoon light. 1/1250th, f/5.6, ISO 320.

Maxis Gamez
01-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Hey Brian,

This is a fantastic image. The light is wonderful. The colors and details are simply amazing. You have a winner here!

Fabs Forns
01-01-2008, 06:37 PM
Big welcome, Brian!!!

Lovely light and bird, really looking forward to seeing more of your work :)

Alfred Forns
01-01-2008, 06:40 PM
So nice to see you here Brian !!!! A big treat !!!!

I love it all Particularly the feather detail and pose !!! Big Time Congrats !!!

Lana Hays
01-01-2008, 06:40 PM
Welcome, Brian
I think I got a shot of this guy's cousin last month..... it was good this year in the Cibola Mountains. You had the perfect light and the setting up there is always excellent. Great pose and oh so sharp. What I really like that adds to the image is the OOF junipers in the BG. I've only recently really noticed how much they add to the depth of the image. Well done....as always.

Diane Chenault
01-01-2008, 06:59 PM
That is a beautiful bird & image. In my email from Arthur he said there would be suggestion & not just great shot stuff on his new site. I think your image is a wow image, but I would like to see more room on the right or less on the left

George DeCamp
01-01-2008, 07:04 PM
Welcome Brian!

Making a left when everyone else is going right sometimes is a good idea and one you have proven with this image. Love this shot, sweet colors and BG.

Arthur Morris
01-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Hey Brian, Wonderful image, as expected. Love the background, the light, and the over-the-shoulder pose. Was the bird attracted to your position?

later and love, artie

Wil Hershberger
01-01-2008, 07:19 PM
A fantastic image. I really like the crisp light and details in the feathers.

Sid Garige
01-01-2008, 08:36 PM
Welcome Brain. Excellent image. Wonderful head turn with excellent background worked great for me.

Andrew McCullough
01-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Beautiful all around.

James Salywoda
01-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Awesome shot Brian!!! Beautiful light and colors...

Brian E. Small
01-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Hey Brian, Wonderful image, as expected. Love the background, the light, and the over-the-shoulder pose. Was the bird attracted to your position?

later and love, artie

Hey Artie,

First, let me say "thank you" for being such a big part of this great new place for us bird photographers. You're off to a great start and you've assembled a great team to run the place. Anyway, yes I find using calls very effective for these guys at this time of year and I did attract him using calls. Not sure if I was supposed to put that into my post description or not.................but, I don't want you to think it was left out purposly. I have no qualms about responsibly using calls to attract birds for photography.

Keep up the great work around here..............

Linda Robbins
01-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Woderful light, stunning background, and great pose. It is a beautiful image, but I would like to see a bit more room on the right.

Gyorgy Szimuly
01-02-2008, 07:40 AM
Fantastic shot Biran. As we get it from you all the time. Many of us influenced by your images heavily. Please, keep up sharing them with us.
Szimi

darrell-t
01-02-2008, 06:23 PM
Beautiful colors. Lovely image.

Arthur Morris
01-03-2008, 05:50 PM
Hey Artie,

First, let me say "thank you" for being such a big part of this great new place for us bird photographers. You're off to a great start and you've assembled a great team to run the place. Anyway, yes I find using calls very effective for these guys at this time of year and I did attract him using calls. Not sure if I was supposed to put that into my post description or not.................but, I don't want you to think it was left out purposly. I have no qualms about responsibly using calls to attract birds for photography.

Keep up the great work around here..............

Hi Brian, YAW and thanks for your kind words. Thanks for the info; it does not make the image any less gorgeious. I would like to encourage everyone using tapes, working at feeders, or otherwise baiting or attracting birds to their position to state the basics in their posts. Many beginners see images like this and think that the person making the image was just taking a walk in a meadow and got really lucky. Fact is, that most times they are just really smart (and hard-working...)

Later and love, artie

ps: We would welcome a short article from you on using tape recorded calls responsibly.