PDA

View Full Version : Chickadee in Cherry

Chris Zink
03-29-2009, 08:26 PM
I have a feeder near a cherry tree in my yard. I love early spring because you can see the birds in trees so well. I noticed that the goldfinches eat at the feeder and then fly to the highest (therefore the clearest and easiest to photograph) branches of the tree. In contast, the chickadees go to the feeder, grab a sunflower seed, then fly to the tree where they remove the shell and eat the seed over quite a while. Unfortunately, the chickadees land in the center of the tree, making it harder to get a clear photograph with out any obstructing branches.

Chris Zink
03-29-2009, 08:29 PM
Sorry - hit the button too soon.

This was taken with a Nikon D300 and 600 mm lens at f 7.1, speed 1/640, ISO 400, and flash (SB800) on a better beamer.

Axel Hildebrandt
03-29-2009, 08:57 PM
I like the details and fluffed-up pose and would increase the saturation a few points. You could also clone out the horizontal branch crossing the top of the head.

Chris Zink
03-29-2009, 09:38 PM
You are right - a little more warmth is what it needs. I knew it needed something, but couldn't think what. I debated about the branch across the head and I decided that the three horizontal branches made a nice motif - probably should have done it. I upped the saturation on this copy - I agree it looks better.