PDA

View Full Version : Common Mergansers

joel quenneville
03-29-2009, 06:27 PM
I have been trying to make a good image of this species for a long time. However, they are very hard to approach. Yesterday, I posted myself by the edge of the river and waited. I could see many ducks but they stayed near the other shore of the river. Finally this group of common mergansers came over quite close, enabling me to make several good images. The late afternoon light was beautiful but it made exposing so as to keep detail in both the heads and bodies of the males a challenge. I added some canvas ahead of the group in PS. Some details were lost in the JPEG conversion.

Nikon D300
Sigma 120-300 + 1.4x TC @ 380mm
f/5.6
ISO 400
1/1250s
Manual Exposure
Fill Flash

Randy Stout
03-29-2009, 06:58 PM
Joel:

Very handsome birds. The water looks like it was quite still, based on the quality of the reflections.

For me, the image is dark enough that I can't see much separation between the dark plumage and the water, which makes it hard to appreciate the details. I suspect if you lighten it much, the whites will blow.

It would be nice if there was a bit more separation between the back two birds.

Getting three head angles right at the same time is always a challenge.

Randy

Randy Stout
03-29-2009, 07:05 PM
Joel:

This is an extremely quick and dirty pass in NX2. Both shadows and highlight work. I would need to do some more, but at least for me it lets me see the birds a bit better.

Randy

Axel Hildebrandt
03-29-2009, 07:46 PM
I like the crop and reflections. I like Randy's idea of recovering the details in the shadows.

Ákos Lumnitzer
03-29-2009, 07:46 PM
I like your original very much Joël. Maybe a little CW rotation and slight lightening of the birds? But I love the contrast against the dark, murky water. :)

Judy Lynn Malloch
03-29-2009, 08:17 PM
Like this a lot Joel and the composition is very nice with lovely reflections. I too like the original but good work on the repost Randy.

Stu Bowie
03-30-2009, 12:32 PM
Your pano crop works well Joel, and lovely reflections captured too. Although I havent tried, I feel you could have selected the water, and recoverd some light from it, thus leaving the ducks as they are. Still, well captured Joel.