PDA

View Full Version : Great Blue Heron

Nonda Surratt
01-28-2008, 09:45 AM
Image is full frame, with canvas added to the front, it is a boring image I think:( What can/could be done here?

30D, 300f2.8L+2X@f8, ISO 400, 1/1250 manual. Car window beanbag.

Robert O'Toole
01-28-2008, 01:25 PM
You might want to apply an S curve for a little more pop. You might want to make the WB slightly cooler maybe. Here is an example. Let me know if you would like the exact details. Hope you like the results and dont mind me reposting.

For me the wing position is not the best but the primaries flipped up helps it a bit. I think the average photographer would like to have this image.

Robert

Nonda Surratt
01-28-2008, 04:41 PM
Yes Robert, details please, and I absolutely do not mind the re-post. I do have the same bird with wings down, might be better?
Do have your CD now just haven't had the chance to look at it yet.

Robert O'Toole
01-28-2008, 05:21 PM
My APTATS CD contains tutorials that are more of repairs than the changes I did to improve this image.
Here is a list of what I did.
Open image in Photoshop.
First I pressed F8 in photoshop to bring up the info window.
Then I pressed "i" to slect the eye dropper.
Placing the eye dropped over the white are in the face I see by the RGB channels that the white was too red.
The I pressed CTRL+J to make a background layer copy.
Not having access to the RAW fileI just went to Image>Adjust>Photo filter>cooling filter
Re-checked the info window.
Adjusted the Filter layer opacity to about 50-60% until the white area red cast was amost gone.
Then I used Ctrl+M and applied a mild "S" curve.

Let me know if all of the above makes sense.

Robert

Judd Patterson
01-28-2008, 08:24 PM
Some great suggestions and a fine repost from Robert...looking really nice! I sure like the image Nonda even if the background and pose are pretty standard. It's still very exciting to get a sharp flight shot of a beautiful bird like this. :) I look forward to seeing the alternate pose in order to compare.

Nonda Surratt
01-29-2008, 08:56 AM
GBH wings down, didn't like the eye on this. Robert, muddled though your instructions, which were quite easy BTW, once I figured out you were on a PC:-) And the fact I don't know key shortcuts:o
Would very much like to see the RGB curve you used, please? I've pretty much always hung out in LAB, trying to learn RGB.

Alfred Forns
01-29-2008, 09:01 AM
Nonda you can select the eye and with a little work will look great !!! I love this pose Colors look great well saturated and the bird has accurate colors !!!!

Bill McCrystyn
01-29-2008, 04:03 PM
Wow, nice work. I had never used curves before to make adjustments but rather relyed on color balance levels and contrast. I used the "linear contrast" on an image and then did a little further level adjustment and made big improvements over what I had. Thanks Robert! Nonda, I like the wings down frame. Nice image. Alfred is right (of course) and a little selective eye work would finish this puppy off. Good Hunting -

Nonda Surratt
01-29-2008, 04:14 PM
Thanks much Alfred, Bill. I'll work on that eye.

Robert O'Toole
01-29-2008, 05:58 PM
A simple linear S curve can work wonders. It applies a contrast enhancement to the midtones. Open curves, click on the center to add an adjustment point, click half way to the top and the same halfway to black. Now raise the light mid point up 5 or so and down 5 or so for the dark mispoint. The straight 45 degree line should now have a slight S shape. If you are using CS3 there is a preset linear curve. You can make your own and have them saved as presets.

Robert

Nonda Surratt
01-30-2008, 07:07 PM
Thanks Robert! I think I try and make things way to complicated

Gus Cobos
03-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Very nice image, love the details and colors