PDA

View Full Version : Patterns from Steptoe Butte

Tom Walter
03-29-2009, 01:59 PM
I would appreciate your comments regarding this subject and composition? This is the full frame image that I took. There are literally millions of compositions possible in the late afternoon from this butte in Palouse Region of eastern Washington.

Nikon D200
Nikon 70-300 4.5-5.6G VR at 300 mm
Tripod
1/50 sec at f8
ISO 400

Grady Weed
03-29-2009, 02:59 PM
Patterns, shapes and shades is what I thought when I first say this one. A colorful mosaic of shapes and lines. I like this one a lot. I like the rolling hills combined with the patchwork color of the green and tans. Your eyes roll effortlessly all around in this image. Sort of reminds me of a Chinese countryside.

Robert Amoruso
03-31-2009, 12:36 PM
Tom,

Nicely seen image - you are right that this is a great subject. When making these, examine the edges carefully.

1) Bottom - too tight on the tree in the LR. Framing lower was called for.
2) Top - small protrusion of clipped trees at UL along with clipped hills. Framing lower was called for.
3) Left - looks good.
4) Right - protruding shadows in the mid-point clipped and again the trees in the LR too close edge.

From the image you created, top and right could be fixed in a crop but lacking a better base at the bottom, the image feels cut off to me.

One option you do have for the bottom is crop to a point just below the tops of the LR trees and then clone out those tree tops. This way the "Y" formed at the bottom right is not too close to the edge. Then crop down from the top and some in the right and viola, great looking image. I don't have access to PS right now so I can't demo for you.

Paul Marcellini
03-31-2009, 07:55 PM
Robert has some good ideas. I say crop above the trees in the bottom and below the trees top left. This leaves the row of bushes by the bright strip as your anchor in a rule of thirds power point just about. A beautiful scen though, I love the layers.

Roman Kurywczak
04-03-2009, 02:28 PM
Hi Tom,
Very good advice given above and like Paul, I too love the layers. I think you could crop those bottom trees out......without impacting the image greatly and further strengthen the leading line.....same with the UL bright spot......crop strait across helps there also. Nice use of layers and shadows.