PDA

View Full Version : Houston - we have lift off.

Randy Stout
03-29-2009, 12:33 PM
This brown pelican was imaged on Artie's IPT last month. I have chuckled everytime I saw it, and thought it was worth posting. I wish the top margin didn't have the shore line, but I was able to blur and dim it a bit, so hopefully it doesn't compete as much with the bird. Another image with lots of detail, so very high compression required. The whites in the neck are at 249.

D300 70-200/ f.8 at 86mm f/8 1/25000 ISO 1000 EV-.7

Comments always appreciated.

Axel Hildebrandt
03-29-2009, 12:55 PM
Cool pose, light and details. I might have moved to the left to avoid the beige reflection in the water.

I think you mistyped the shutter speed.

Randy Stout
03-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Nah Axel:

This is the NASA version of the D300, for ultra fast action.

:)

joel quenneville
03-29-2009, 06:39 PM
Great action here Randy! I love his pose and expression. I am okay with the fringe of land at the top but I find that the beige reflection on the left is distracting. Perhaps darkening in PS would help. Good job capturing the moment.

Randy Stout
03-29-2009, 06:47 PM
Joel:

This image was captured the same evening that I took my avatar image, so the reflections were very important for that image. This fellow jumped in, and I just couldn't resist.

I didn't have time to recompose or move to get him away from the reflection.

Yes, I think its the expression that makes it!

Randy

denise ippolito
03-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Randy, I love the expression and the title. Agree w/ comments but the expression is priceless!

Ákos Lumnitzer
03-29-2009, 10:00 PM
GReat expression is noted. THe bright water is a little distracting, but the bird is priceless! :)

Stu Bowie
03-30-2009, 12:14 PM
Excellent timing to capture the outspread wings Randy. All you needed was for him to open his beak. You could maybe crop a bit off the LHS to form a portrait comp, or try and burn the reflected light, so as not to make it so bright. It doesnt really distract for me, as the main focus is on the stretched out pelican. Very well captured Randy.