PDA

View Full Version : Broken, but not lost

JB Ellis
03-29-2009, 07:32 AM
Pre-dawn shot from Hunting Island State Park, SC. I like the silhouetted tree "looking toward the glow in the morning sky. I have some shots of upright trees in the surf too, but the broken effect of this one appealed to me.
Canon d40, Sigma 17-70 @ 30, 2 sec., f/18, ISO 100.

Jackie Schuknecht
03-29-2009, 01:52 PM
Love the colours and the silhouette effect here. Has such a soft feel to it. Makes me wish there were more frames or a pano.

JB Ellis
03-30-2009, 06:49 AM
I agree, it does seem to need more. I have a whole set, so I don't miss the rest of the picture. Maybe it would be better is the tree were smaller in the frame?

Jackie Schuknecht
03-30-2009, 09:18 AM
John if you had more it would be lovely as a pano stitch. Maybe the tree is a little too big, but still a lovely shot.

Robert Amoruso
03-31-2009, 12:27 PM
JB,

I think you and Jackie are onto it. I looked at this one before she commented and have been thinking about it but I think I agree, a different placement of the prominent tree and perhaps a wider perspective was needed here. I see merges of the large tree with smaller stumps on the shore. If that could have been avoided, it would be preferred.

The slow shutter speed for the water perfect and sky and water colors are subtle and pleasing.

Roman Kurywczak
04-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Hey JB,
I'll be in the minority here.....but I like the prominance of the tree and it has very little in the way of merges. I do think this would have been anexcellent time to use the split ND......placed horizontally/diagonally from right to left........that being said.....I think you can lighten the water around the tree....just a hair and tone down the sky some......really make it pop.......this will make all the elements stand out even more. Let me know if you try it how it works out.