PDA

View Full Version : burrowing owl

CMARINOVSTER
03-28-2009, 11:03 PM
300mm,f4.5 ,1/500,iso100

Arthur Morris
03-29-2009, 06:18 AM
Great sbject and perch and nice BKGR. The dark splotch is a bit distracting. The bird is underexposed and is not at all sharp. (Did you sharpen it after sizing it??? It almost looks un-sharpened.) Were you hand-holding or is this a large crop? Lastly, I would lose the extra stuff on the perch. (Was this a perch that you set up?)

Randy Stout
03-29-2009, 06:22 AM
Cristian:

A nicely posed owl. The background is generally very complimentary, but I would try to further blur the left upper corner. Good eye contact.

The exposure is pretty close, but the main issue for me is that the bird isn't sharp enough. Were you shooting handheld or with tripod? The light, although soft looking, must have been somewhat to your left, as the birds left eye is a bit shadowed.

Crop wise, I might remove a bit from the right, to move him out of the center.

It is always good to mention more technical details, such as the camera. That allows use to judge ISO opt.ons. I would have tried to bump the ISO up here, to get more shutter speed, to help with sharpness.

There are two catchlights, so I am assuming you were using fill flash? I would try to get rid of one.

Thanks for posting.

Randy

PS: Artie and I were typing at the same time.
sorry for the duplication.

Fabs Forns
03-29-2009, 08:30 AM
I will add to the excellent comments, that using some flash would have evened the light in the face. As it is now, the left side of the bird is much darker.

Alfred Forns
03-29-2009, 09:18 AM
Agree with suggestions and was wondering why the low ISO? From the bg looks like it was made is really nice light !!