PDA

View Full Version : Maple Sugaring

Grady Weed
03-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Canon EOS 5D, Shooting Date/Time: 3/28/2009 13:43:16, Shutter Speed 1/30Sec. Av(Aperture Value) F16, Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation 0, ISO 400, Lens: EF28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, Focal Length 60.0 mm, RAW, White Balance: Auto, One-Shot AF, Monochrome. Hand held from 8 feet away. Full frame, not cropped, makes a 12 x 18 print.

There is a very busy road just to the right here of the frame. I thought later of stepping into the road and get more rock wall in the frame in between the maple trees and showing more of the row along the road. But it is very busy and the snow is dirty. So not wanting to get run over and the snow being dirty and not adding anything to the frame, I choose this crop. What do you think?

For more information on Maple sugaring or Maple Sugar Sunday, go here: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33099

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
03-29-2009, 05:57 AM
Nice image Grady as they are getting maple syrup now in Northern Michigan but we getting a late winter storm so that will extend the season.

Paul Marcellini
04-01-2009, 07:32 AM
Hey Grady,

I think you placed all the elements well, but the bright snow is stealing the show here. I would crop square from the right and call it a day. Thanks for the extra info in the link.

Robert Amoruso
04-01-2009, 08:13 AM
Paul had some good points here. I would try selecting highlights and toning them down. Paul's crop suggest is another option too.

Roman Kurywczak
04-03-2009, 02:19 PM
Hey Grady,
Working on toning down the snow is a very good idea. I love playing around with burning and dodging lately.....although all the other methods (multiply layer).....may work also.........this will add a great amount of depth to the image and strenghten the emphasis on the maple sugaring.