PDA

View Full Version : One of my favs. of 2007

Paul Marcellini
01-01-2008, 06:29 PM
Mainly for the experience. Growing up in Miami doesn't give you opportunities to climb 14'ers too often. This was an attempt in Sept. on Crestone Needle, in Colorado. We were shut-out at 12,000 by the weather, but it was a great time and good memories. Here is a very windy and cold view of Crestone Needle, at way too early in the morning.

http://i6.tinypic.com/726algo.jpg

Canon 20d, 10-22 at 10mm
iso 200 f16 2.5s

Thanks for looking and Happy New Year,
Paul

Maxis Gamez
01-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Hi and welcome Paul,

This is fantastic! I really like the colors and composition on this one. You need to make a 20x30 out of this! :)

Robert Amoruso
01-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Nice job Paul. I like how you handled the tonal range from the shadows in the FG to the sunlight peak in the BG. Nice details in the shadows as well. I like how the stream is placed as a leading line into the image.

My nit is the small rock at the bottom of the stream that is touching the frames edge.

I can see why this is a favorite.

David Kennedy
01-01-2008, 08:33 PM
I agree with Maxis and Robert, alhough there is a part of me that would have preferred to see more of the sky.

Jason Hahn
01-01-2008, 09:03 PM
I really like the low angle at which you made this image, and the reflection of the peak's color in the water. The lines in this are also interesting as well, the ridges, stream, and sky all lead your eye to the focal point of the image. I wouldn't mind seeing a little more sky also, but overall I think it is a really well done image.

Jason

Fabs Forns
01-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Hi Paul!!

Big welcome, I see what you meant when you said you did landscapes :)

Beautiful image, proud of you!
May go to the Tail tomorrow afternoon, if you are free...join us!

D. Robert Franz
01-02-2008, 08:55 AM
This is a great image with some stunning light.. You handled exposure quite well. One small nit is the FG rock as pointed out by Robert....

Paul Marcellini
01-02-2008, 11:00 AM
Thanks everyone, one of the reasons I like this image is it came out better than expected. Luck had everything to do with it. My brain was not working well, altitude headache, no sleep from the 40 mph winds and rain while under a little tarp, and then near freezing temps. Also the reason we called off summit. Anyways, my friend woke up said the mountain was glowing and I got dressed as fast as I could. I got 2 frames in before the battery died. Then I noticed it was in manual focus from doing star trails the night before, so I figured I blew it and was disappointed the whole day. Luckily, I had not had it focused on the horizon for the star trails because I was light painting some foregrounds, and so f16 actually kept everything in focus for me. So...a lot of luck.

Thanks again for the comments and nits, its good to find a forum that doesn't just say "nice image".

Paul