PDA

View Full Version : Eye of the Toad

Caleb Royer
03-28-2009, 02:41 PM
I took this photo about 1 year ago with my Dads camera which has a very good macro on it.
These Toads are very common were I live.

Weather: cloudy
Date: 7/15/2008 around 9:00AM
Camera: Olympus FE110,X705
Focal Length: 6.2mm
Shutter Speed: 1/30
Aperture: f/3.0
ISO: 125
Flash: non
Resolution: 750x600

Julie Kenward
03-28-2009, 08:28 PM
Caleb, I like the eye! You got it nice and crisp. I do think if you had stopped down the aperture a bit more you would have been able to get more of the toad in focus as well.

I also think your crop is a bit tight - see how close his nose is to the side of the frame? Even in a macro image I would leave a bit more room next time. I'd also clone out the stick that's coming into the frame near his nose as well.

I noticed you had an ISO of 125 and a shutter speed of 1/30th...next time bump it up to 200 and get a little more speed so you don't have to worry about camera shake - especially if you are going with a wide open aperture like you did here.

Mike Moats
03-29-2009, 09:18 AM
Hey Caleb, I agree on needing a bit more DOF, I don't mind the tight crop but would clone out the stick in front of his nose. I would also darken the image a bit.

Caleb Royer
03-29-2009, 10:38 PM
Here is the redone photo.

I gave the nose a little room by cropping it a little wider and removing the peace of old grass.

I brightened it up a little and tried to sharpen the out of focus parts of the photo as best I could.

THANKS
for the critiques:)