PDA

View Full Version : Seeking the Perfect Wave

John Lowin
03-28-2009, 12:24 PM
On the way to the Byodo-In Buddist Temple, on Ohau, Hawaii, I stopped along the roadway to capture this image. After cleaning up between ten and twenty thousand footprints, this is my image. Hope you like it. C and C welcome, I'm here to learn. - John

Canon 1D MkII
Canon 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 EF IS USM
hh

Robert Amoruso
03-28-2009, 01:42 PM
John,

I like this one a lot. It makes me want to see more of the shore and surf but for this image that would have not worked with the surfer. Going vertical and framing it with the footprints leading from the left and have him close to the edge on the right is perfect. YOu could try cloning out the bush LL but I like how it anchors the lower part of the image and then gives way to the sand on the LR.

JB Ellis
03-29-2009, 11:55 AM
I like the image just like it is. Keep the bush. You did a great job getting rid of the footprints which I'm sure that added greatly to the over all mood.

Roman Kurywczak
03-29-2009, 06:17 PM
Hey John,
this may sound weird.....but for me.....cropping off the top.....just below the dark blue patch on the UR....leaving the top of the wave.....seems to strengthen the surfers importance. I generally do not like people walking out of the frame.....but it does seem to work in this case. Nicely done.

John Lowin
03-29-2009, 08:35 PM
Hey John,
this may sound weird.....but for me.....cropping off the top.....just below the dark blue patch on the UR....leaving the top of the wave.....seems to strengthen the surfers importance. I generally do not like people walking out of the frame.....but it does seem to work in this case. Nicely done.

Hi Roman, Good improvement! It leads my eye more strongly through the repeating "S" curves of the white water and on to the surfer. I usually don't have the subject exiting the image, but this seemed to emphasize the, "Seeking the Perfect Wave". Thanks - John

John Lowin
03-29-2009, 08:38 PM
John,

I like this one a lot. It makes me want to see more of the shore and surf but for this image that would have not worked with the surfer. Going vertical and framing it with the footprints leading from the left and have him close to the edge on the right is perfect. YOu could try cloning out the bush LL but I like how it anchors the lower part of the image and then gives way to the sand on the LR.

Hi Robert, I think it needs the bush to balance the surfer. Thanks. - John