PDA

View Full Version : yellow-bellied sapsucker

Joel Arrington
01-28-2008, 07:14 AM
Canon 40D, 1/250@f/11 manual, ISO 400, Flash fill with Beamer from a blind

Judd Patterson
01-28-2008, 07:24 AM
Joel, this is a beautiful image of a bird species that can be hard to approach. I really enjoy all the details here including the stiff tail being used as a brace, feet clearly visible, the sapwell that the bird was drilling, and the pleasing background. I woulds suggest that you try recropping this image with a CCW rotation to straighten the tree trunk...maybe not perfectly straight, but experiment with few options. Nice work!

Axel Hildebrandt
01-28-2008, 07:26 AM
Great find, pose and exposure control. I would remove the color noise and there is a slight sharpening halo. Regarding the head, it looks a bit soft, maybe some motion blur. You could try to selectively sharpen it since the body looks good.

Joel Arrington
01-28-2008, 07:45 AM
Joel, this is a beautiful image of a bird species that can be hard to approach. I really enjoy all the details here including the stiff tail being used as a brace, feet clearly visible, the sapwell that the bird was drilling, and the pleasing background. I woulds suggest that you try recropping this image with a CCW rotation to straighten the tree trunk...maybe not perfectly straight, but experiment with few options. Nice work!
Terrific idea, even if the tree was leaning, and easily executed. Thanks

Dick Boone
01-29-2008, 08:33 PM
Joel, out of curiosity, I copied your image and in PS I applied some brightening in curves. The details just popped, and with the lightened BG, the bird really stands out.

God bless.....Dick