PDA

View Full Version : ID Help

Paul Lagasi
03-27-2009, 07:38 PM
Took this photo today in Ottawa, Canada...I've never seen a butterfly so early before..does anyone know what this is?

Lana Hays
03-27-2009, 07:50 PM
Paul
It is a Mourning Cloak Butterfly. They are known for coming out early.....even flying when there is still snow on the ground.

Paul Lagasi
03-27-2009, 10:09 PM
Thank you Lana, missed this butterfly sitting in snow...

Julie Kenward
03-28-2009, 08:24 PM
Paul, I think from a compositional standpoint a tighter crop would work better since so much of your BG is still in focus. I love that you got the shadow of the butterfly on the rock but did you notice that the white trim around the edge of the BF is blown? Did you take this in RAW? If so, I'd go back and bring it down just a bit.

Nice detail in the BF - you didn't give any camera/lens stats so I can't advice how to try to improve upon it for next time but I'd suggest opening up a stop or two when the BG is this cluttered and then get in as tight as you can for the detail.

Mike Moats
03-29-2009, 09:22 AM
Hey Paul, agree on the tighter crop, little to much distraction going on in the BG. Good details on the B-fly. Always remember the BG is as important as the main subject, the two have to balance.