PDA

View Full Version : Turkey feathers

massimomossi
03-27-2009, 06:58 PM
Found this in the aviary at the Virginia Aquarium and Science Center. It is a facility for rescuing birds who are injured and can no longer function in the wild. I fell in love with the colors, the sheen, and texture of his feathers. As a fly-tier, I have been using turkey feathers for a long time, but "living" feathers are truly amazing!!

The bird is spectacular in lots of different ways; I am posting a "portrait" in the "Eager to learn" section.

Olympus SP-570UZ, 92mm zoom. ISO 64, f/4.5, 1/80sec. Cloudy, gray skies, natural light only. Minimal cropping in PSE7, saturation, contrast, sharpness, fill light adjustments.

Thank you for looking, and comments always welcome!

Massimo

Gus Cobos
03-27-2009, 07:42 PM
Hi Massimo,
I like the pattern and texture in the feathers...you have good color rendition, but the image is a tad under exposed; you need to open up the mid-tones and selective sharpen along the edges of the feathers only...look at the comments I posted on your recent post in the ETL forum...good show...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Joseph Martines
03-28-2009, 08:06 PM
Massimo:

I was taken by the texture and composition.

A tad too dark for me but, I still like the image.

Thanks for sharing.

Julie Kenward
03-28-2009, 08:19 PM
I agree with Gus...just a bit more light in the mid and low tones and you'll be there. I do like your choice of composition...nicely done!

Mike Moats
03-29-2009, 09:25 AM
Hey Massimo, Very cool comp and excellent color combination. I don't mind it dark, I like dark moody images.