PDA

View Full Version : Green Damselfly

John Lowin
03-27-2009, 05:11 PM
Early, misty morning, at Faylor Lake in Pennsylvania. Insects were still drying off, so this was an available subject. Dewdrops are totally covering its wings. Hope you like my image. C and C welcome, I'm here to learn. - John

f/8 1/160 ISO 400
Canon 1D MkII
Canon EF 180mm f/3.5 L USM Macro
Gitzo CF 1228 Tripod
Arca Swiss B1 Ballhead

Julie Kenward
03-27-2009, 05:21 PM
John, the overall image is really nice. I think you did a great job of getting the entire body in the focal plane as all the details are crisp...with the exception of those wings! Darn it but that would have been really spectacular if you could have gotten those razor sharp as well.

One idea for the next time is to take one where the body is razor sharp and then take another of the wings and combine them in Photoshop or a a software program like Photomatrix. Sometimes it takes more than one image to get perfection.

Now, back to the good things...beautiful colors and nice exposure. I love the BG - nicely blurred but you still get a sense of the environment. Very close to being a perfect DF image and that is a big thing to accomplish.

Gus Cobos
03-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Hi John,
I like the composition, image and the capture with the diagonal perch...I agree with Julie about the wings...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

John Lowin
03-27-2009, 09:36 PM
John, the overall image is really nice. I think you did a great job of getting the entire body in the focal plane as all the details are crisp...with the exception of those wings! Darn it but that would have been really spectacular if you could have gotten those razor sharp as well.

One idea for the next time is to take one where the body is razor sharp and then take another of the wings and combine them in Photoshop or a a software program like Photomatrix. Sometimes it takes more than one image to get perfection.

Now, back to the good things...beautiful colors and nice exposure. I love the BG - nicely blurred but you still get a sense of the environment. Very close to being a perfect DF image and that is a big thing to accomplish.

Hi Julie, Is this better? I took the wings from another image where the wings were sharper and did a transplant.

Julie Kenward
03-28-2009, 08:18 PM
There you go! And a great job of moving them, too! Just make sure whenever you do something like this that you say so right up front...we want everyone to know when something is "in camera" and when something is "photoshopped."

I think that really makes the image, John. Way to go!

John Lowin
03-28-2009, 09:50 PM
There you go! And a great job of moving them, too! Just make sure whenever you do something like this that you say so right up front...we want everyone to know when something is "in camera" and when something is "photoshopped."

I think that really makes the image, John. Way to go!

Thanks very much Julie, I appreciate it. Thanks also for your suggestion. - John