PDA

View Full Version : Jocotoco Antpitta (Ecuador)

Glenn Bartley
03-27-2009, 07:02 AM
Here’s one from the other morning at the Tapichalaca reserve in SE Ecuador.

For those who haven’t heard of Tapichalaca or don’t know the story - Cerro Tapichalaca is a mountain in southern Ecuador where in 1997 Dr. Robert Ridgely (Author Of the field guide to the birds of Ecuador) discovered a species of Antpitta that was new to science – the Jocotoco Antpitta. Now this obviously isn’t something that happens every day – especially with a species as unique as the Jocotoco! This incredibly exciting discovery sparked the formation of the Jocotoco Foundation which strives to protect rare bird species in Ecuador and the creation of the Tapichalaca reserve (and ultimately 6 others as well).

Rather than have birders and photographers chasing after the extremely rare Jocotoco’s (perhaps as few as 10 pairs exist in the world!!!), the foundation decided to try to tame a few as has been done at other locations in Ecuador. After 3 months of trying to get the birds accustomed to coming in to feed on worms they finally succeeded. It is an amazing thing to come to this reserve and see such an extremely rare bird, one that has been known to science for barely a decade, at such close distances. It was a real pleasure to be able to spend a few mornings with these beautiful birds and to be able to achieve the image I had hoped for.

I hope you enjoy this one…I believe his name is “Panchito” :D

Cheers!

Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D
Shutter speed: 1/50 sec
Aperture: 4.5
Exposure compensation: -1/3
Flash: Off
ISO: 400
Focal length: 300mm

Ramon M. Casares
03-27-2009, 08:04 AM
Stunning species, great light, superb pose and comp, lovely detail and colors and terrific overall image! Congratulations! Great story and info too. :)

Loukie Viljoen
03-27-2009, 09:26 AM
Excellent VWD.

ChasMcRae
03-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Loving your Ecuador pics and another Antpitta perfectly perched.
Lucky you being able to spend such time there.
Chas.

David Roach
03-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Just loved your story!!! It probably goes without saying, I always enjoy your images and this one is no exception!! How thrilling to get such a rare bird with great details, color, perch, BG, HA and THAT EYE!!! Thanks for sharing all!!!

Stu Bowie
03-27-2009, 02:04 PM
Excellent sharpness for such a slow ss Glenn, thus showing lovely feather detail. I like the comp, and the colours in this. Super image.

Trey Barron
03-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Another winner. Very cool to get this species. Congrats.

Juan Carlos Vindas
03-27-2009, 08:38 PM
Glenn, Glenn!
Thank you so much for providing this great deal of information about this species!
It's so good to hear that there are organizations trying to protect such species, I don't know how good or bad it can be to feed these species since there are so few individuals and in some way humans could be interfering in their natural ways to find their food, but I totally agree that is better than having some birders and photographers behind them all the time.
The place where the bird is standing adds a lot to your compo. and I like it all the way. Congrats.