PDA

View Full Version : Emerald Eyed Groucho

David Roach
03-26-2009, 10:29 AM
When I went to Anhinga Trail the other morning, my thought was to catch one of these with their breeding freak on. I always love to get their emerald eyes. Always reminds me of what an everglades ranger said to a tour group a few years back; "This time of year the Anhingas look like David Bowie (with their lavander eye shadow) and the cormorants Groucho Marx (big eye brows)". I saw some too high up at the beginning of the morning and then as I was leaving two (not a few feet apart) were sitting right at the waters edge just waiting to be imaged. I was sitting, with foot in water leaning back to get the water BG on this one. The stiff breeze just gave a hint of motion blur to those eyebrows (wish they were further along (longer)).
1DMKIIN 100-400 ISO 400 F5.6@1/1000

Axel Hildebrandt
03-26-2009, 10:42 AM
Great details, eye contact and light. I only wish for a slight head turn toward you.

kevinmat
03-26-2009, 10:52 AM
I'd echo Axel's comments. Nice clean background. Great capture.

David Roach
03-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Yes, me too!!! But this fella just wouldn't give it up.

Tim Kuhn
03-26-2009, 01:18 PM
I like the image a lot, I have almost the same image printed on my desk here at work!! I have gotten these guys to turn their heads by softly whistling non natural tones. Nice job exposing the black feathers.

Tim

David Roach
03-26-2009, 03:46 PM
As I started, with this beauty, further back, I got some better head angles just from the shutter sound. But it also brought some distracting green reeds behind the bird into the DOF. As I got close, and the DOF narrowed, the reed (now way out of DOF) was simply the faint green you see at the top of the head. But, by then this beauty was immune to my shutter sound. Moving right or left (to avoid reeds) was not an option if I wanted to keep the water BG.

Ákos Lumnitzer
03-26-2009, 04:39 PM
Well done David. I like the image very much. Nice details in the plumage. And the eye is magic. Well done mate. :)

Arthur Morris
03-26-2009, 07:01 PM
If you could have moved a bit to your right, you could have improved the HA. I do love the eye and also the texture and patterns in the bill. Now get one with its mouth open to show that cobalt blue lining!

David Roach
03-27-2009, 10:29 AM
Artie, after moving in this close, with my right foot dangling in the water, moving further right was not an option. At least not for us less dedicted amateur avian photographers who aren't yet serious enough to swim with gators! I will take your challenge and get back out there for an even better pose! As always, thanks for the learnings!!!!!

Arthur Morris
03-27-2009, 11:56 AM
That's why I wrote, "If you could have...":) :) :)

And YAW.

David Roach
03-27-2009, 12:03 PM
Yes, I saw your If!!! Just adding some comic relief. YAW?? Especially to you, for all your written materials, now worn from use, thanks for the learnings!!!!!! As I always say, the more experience I get in the field; the smarter you become!

Arthur Morris
03-27-2009, 12:15 PM
That, plus the harder you work. YAW = you are welcome. Me thinks that you knew that...