PDA

View Full Version : Incoming Spoonie in Tampa Bay

Marina Scarr
03-26-2009, 09:50 AM
Well Spoonbill season is once again upon us as you can tell from the recent threads. This image was taken handheld just before sunset while literally sitting in the mud/water @ very low tide. Can't wait to get back out there.

Canon 40D, Canon 300L F4 & 1.4 TC @ 420 mm
F8, 1/1600sec, ISO 500

C & C always welcome,

Marina

Chris van Rooyen
03-26-2009, 10:25 AM
Lovely posture and great light! Would suggest cleaning up the background a bit

Axel Hildebrandt
03-26-2009, 10:37 AM
Great details and light. I wish we could see the underside of the near wing better and I think it needs a bit CCW rotation.

Tony Whitehead
03-26-2009, 01:15 PM
I like the pose and the light really shows off the colours and feather details well. Agree with Chris re BG and Axel re rotation.

Norm Dulak
03-26-2009, 03:06 PM
I agree that cleaning up the background a bit would be helpful, especially around the area where the dark feet merge with the darker elements of the background. Otherwise this is a pleasing image.

Ákos Lumnitzer
03-26-2009, 03:35 PM
HI

Not sure if the dark underwater patch gives the impression of tilt; maybe try a CCW rotate and see what difference it makes. I am OK with BG and habitat. I'd leave as is. Love the landing pose and light. Well done. Good to hear you got down and dirty. :D

Cheers

Ákos

Mike McCarthy
03-26-2009, 03:52 PM
I wish the angle of view was more from front on. I wish the air temperature was a bit warmer and the wind was a bit less gusty. I wish the spoonie was actually brown and white and looked more like an osprey or an eagle. I wish it had big nasty talons outstretched and reaching for a small white rabbit. I also wish the sky was red and the water was turqoise. I wish pizza was healthy to eat and I wish beer had no calories. *-)

Nice captue Marina. Like the pose and nice details. Would like to visit these guys with you some time. Don't have spoonies down here that I know of. Maybe some pink spray paint for those wood storks ?? :-)

Maxis Gamez
03-26-2009, 05:14 PM
I wish the angle of view was more from front on. I wish the air temperature was a bit warmer and the wind was a bit less gusty. I wish the spoonie was actually brown and white and looked more like an osprey or an eagle. I wish it had big nasty talons outstretched and reaching for a small white rabbit. I also wish the sky was red and the water was turqoise. I wish pizza was healthy to eat and I wish beer had no calories. *-)

This is hilarious! :D

Nice captue Marina. Like the pose and nice details. Would like to visit these guys with you some time. Don't have spoonies down here that I know of. Maybe some pink spray paint for those wood storks ?? :-)

You know you are welcome to ride with us. Back to the image..

I have to agree about the rotation. I don't have a problem with the BG as is part of the habitat. The eye contact and profile does it for me. I missed this trip but looking forward to the up coming season!

Mike Tracy
03-26-2009, 09:18 PM
I would maybe like to see him angled at us 20* or so but does angle does work well with the illumination of his wings. The background does need some cleaning up a bit in a perfect world. But too often we lose lose sight of the big picture and you depicted this bird where he lives baggage and all.

Spot on exposure,pleasing wing position and the feet down are a plus. Another round of sharpening on the head only might be worth trying.

Accurate capture of this species even if it doesn't satisfy the purists.

Sid Garige
03-27-2009, 01:47 AM
Marina,

One of the best spoonbills I have seen. Excellent job with timing and exposure.

-Sid