PDA

View Full Version : A Different Look at Spring

John Lowin
03-26-2009, 09:17 AM
This image was created in my yard a few years ago. The beautiful translucency of these Narcissus blossoms just fascinated me. It was a bit of a challenge shooting against a bald sky and holding detail in the white blossoms. This is the result, laying on my back. I wish I had more image at the bottom, but as I recall, I couldn't move into position to get more because of other plants in the way. This is a slide scan, so no detailed exposure data available. Hope you like my image. C and C welcome, I'm here to learn. - John

Nikon F5
Nikon 105mm f/2.8 AF Micro
hh

Joseph Martines
03-26-2009, 10:19 AM
Simply beautiful!

You nailed the whites which are harder then reds!

Love the texture and backlight.

Thanks for sharing

Julie Kenward
03-26-2009, 12:45 PM
The crispness of the main flower cup is what makes this image pop for me. The whites are very nice but that center flash of orange is great!

Very nice comp - even with your missing piece. I still think it's wonderful.

Gus Cobos
03-26-2009, 03:03 PM
Nicely done John,
you have fine details and the whites are within the tonal range...the color rendition in the mid-tones is very good...suggestion...try to blur the bottom secondary flower to give the main one more attention...my eye keeps going from one to the other and not locking on to anyone in particular...:cool:

John Lowin
03-26-2009, 04:49 PM
The crispness of the main flower cup is what makes this image pop for me. The whites are very nice but that center flash of orange is great!

Very nice comp - even with your missing piece. I still think it's wonderful.

Many Thanks for your kind words. - John

John Lowin
03-26-2009, 04:51 PM
Nicely done John,
you have fine details and the whites are within the tonal range...the color rendition in the mid-tones is very good...suggestion...try to blur the bottom secondary flower to give the main one more attention...my eye keeps going from one to the other and not locking on to anyone in particular...:cool:

Hi Gus, Is this more to your liking?

Gus Cobos
03-26-2009, 05:01 PM
Now it's over the top John...well composed and executed...well seen...congrats...a "10" in my book...:):cool:

John Lowin
03-26-2009, 07:04 PM
Now it's over the top John...well composed and executed...well seen...congrats...a "10" in my book...:):cool:

Thanks Gus, Greatly appreciate your complement. - John

Mike Moats
03-27-2009, 10:53 AM
Hey John, a fine image and I like the original best. You already mentioned it would have been nice with a little extra on the bottom, but still a fine shot.

John Lowin
03-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Hey John, a fine image and I like the original best. You already mentioned it would have been nice with a little extra on the bottom, but still a fine shot.

Mike, Thanks for your kind comments. - John

Julie Kenward
03-27-2009, 05:36 PM
I agree with Mike...I think a very slight blur would work better if you chose to do that - this one feels too OOF for me.