PDA

View Full Version : Ke’anae Beach Sunrise

John Lowin
03-25-2009, 09:25 PM
A sunrise on Maui, Hawaii is spectacular. Painted sky, turquoise water, the smell of salt air and the ever present wind. Hope you like my image. C and C welcome, I'm here to learn. Thank you for looking. - John

f/20 1/15 ISO 400
Canon 1D MkII
Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM
Gitzo G1228 Mountaineer Tripod
Arca Swiss B1 Ball Head

Robert Amoruso
03-26-2009, 06:34 AM
John,

Nice detail in the rocks and trees. I like the placement of the FG rocks and the BG trees - both balance each other well. Surf looks rough and mean and adds to the drama. I would like to see more drama in the clouds. I suggest you use a curves adjustment and darken the sky and then mask out the FG ocean and land from the correction.

John Lowin
03-26-2009, 09:52 AM
John,

Nice detail in the rocks and trees. I like the placement of the FG rocks and the BG trees - both balance each other well. Surf looks rough and mean and adds to the drama. I would like to see more drama in the clouds. I suggest you use a curves adjustment and darken the sky and then mask out the FG ocean and land from the correction.

Thanks Robert, Is this what you were suggesting? - John

Roman Kurywczak
03-26-2009, 10:12 AM
Hi John,
Nicely done in bringing up the sky as per Robert's suggestions......just see if you can further tweak and tone down the highlights in the clouds. As Robert mentioned...nice balance and the crashing wave against the well placed dominant rock work well for me. Nicely done!
Now I just have to hide this post from my wife......otherwise she will want to go back again!

Robert Amoruso
03-26-2009, 10:22 AM
Good work John, agree with Roman on the higlights. You may try reducing red and/or yellow saturation in the clouds as well.

John Lowin
03-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Good work John, agree with Roman on the higlights. You may try reducing red and/or yellow saturation in the clouds as well.

Roman and Robert, Thanks to you both! How's this version? - John

Paul Marcellini
03-27-2009, 08:56 AM
John, great job on reposts. It is a very nice composition. I like the timing on the wave action and the shutter speed works well here.