PDA

View Full Version : Rocky face

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
03-25-2009, 09:03 PM
This is a dominant landscape feature on the dude ranch I go to in the summer and fall. It is located outside of Buffalo, Wy. You could not have been close to the ranch and not see it. In the late 50s the face of this rcok fell off with a resounding crash. The timing of the collapse was in conjuction with the earthquake in Alaska that was so destructive to Anchorage. Anyway this was taken two years ago in the late afternoon. I would very much like your opinions as to the crop and the overall quality of the image. Thanks.
Mac

Nikon D2X
2007:09:22 17:04:36
700mm
1050mm (in 35mm film)
1/250 sec, f/10
Mode: Av
Metering: Multi-segment
Exp comp: -2/3
ISO: 100
AF mode: AF-C
White balance: AUTO
Flash: Off
File size: 10.5MB
Image size: 4320 x 2868
Color mode: MODE2
Color space: AdobeRGB
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: NONE
Contrast: Low

Robert Amoruso
03-26-2009, 06:40 AM
Mac,

Like this one a lot. Use of opposing diagonals help add dynamics to the image and make it interest by allowing the eye to move around it. You have two ridges move left to right in an increasing incline, the BG ridge moving in a decline and the rockface itself move right to left on an incline. The long shadows add depth to the image. Plus you limited the clear sky as it did not add to the image.

Interesting story too.

Roman Kurywczak
03-26-2009, 10:08 AM
Hi Mac,
I too think this was composed nicely and very nicely done minimizing the sky. Only thing I have debated....was the fG curve/line on the left and the evergreens in the LRC.....I scrolled to crop......and now the center vergreen touches the bottom.....so torn there. I do realize jpeg compression often times kills the pop or subtle tones....especially here in the landscape forum....where we often have to knock down the quality......so this is just offerd to play around with......i would try tweaking the subtle layers.....and possibly toning down the large rock face.....just slightly.....to further emphasize the layers.
Just a thought for you to play around with on a nicely composed image.

David Thomasson
03-26-2009, 08:05 PM
Very nice image of a very impressive scene. I'm with Roman on the problem with the line across the bottom at lower left. My inclination is to preserve the crop as is but take that ridge out. It requires only minimal messing with Mother Nature and would, I think, remove the only somewhat contrary line in the composition.

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/3125/rock.gif

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
03-26-2009, 08:28 PM
David, I think it looks better with the line fixed. How you do that off and on thing?
Mac

David Thomasson
03-26-2009, 09:58 PM
David, I think it looks better with the line fixed. How you do that off and on thing?
Mac

It's an animated gif. You can make them in Photoshop. You put the original on one layer and the edited version above it, and then put them in separate frames for animation. Gifs lose image quality of course (only 256 colors), but they're handy for showing before-and-after.

Paul Marcellini
03-27-2009, 08:54 AM
It is a nice scene. YOu got some great advice. Only thing to add is the rock face just coming into frame on right. I would either crop/clone/burn it so it doesn't catch the eye as much. When composing, always look for bright things on the edge of frames. You eye is attracted to bright first, then high contrasts. Just something to keep in mind.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
03-29-2009, 06:04 AM
Nice comp Mac you sure are alucky dog all the places you go.