PDA

View Full Version : Wood duck

Tim Kuhn
03-25-2009, 08:05 PM
I was on a photo jaunt in my kayak when I came across a wood duck that wasn't any where near as skittish as they usually are in these parts. I nosed the kayak onto a submerged log to hold it still and let the bird get used to my presence. I took a large number of pictures of this guy over the longish time I was watching him, he was just so cooperative.

Tim

50d
500 F4 L
ISO 800
F8
1/320
hand held as low as I can get in the kayak

Daniel Cadieux
03-25-2009, 08:21 PM
Isn't it great when a normally skittish species yields a surprise cooperative individual! I like the look of calmness on this guy, and the water drops on the head are a nice touch. Good low angle too. Exposure looked difficult with both blocked blacks and burnt whites. Exposing for the whites and letting flash do its work on the darks would have been a good alternative. Subject a little tight in the frame, especially at left.

Randy Stout
03-25-2009, 08:26 PM
Tim:

That is about as low as you can get and still be above water!

The colors in the bird are lovely, I like the detail on the breast, nice head position. Nice drops on the head and beak.

A bit more space to the left would be nice.

The whites are a bit hot in several spots.

I see what I think is a sharpening halo around the head, and there is something odd in the water just to the right of the beak.

Please share some of your other shots. Our Woodies are very skittish in Michigan!

Randy

Daniel and I were typing at the same time!! Sorry for duplication.

Karl Egressy
03-25-2009, 08:40 PM
Great low angle shot with great details and colours.

Nate Chappell
03-25-2009, 08:49 PM
He looks very relaxed in your presence, I like the drip of water on the beak and the frontal view here, I'd prefer a little more room on the left.

Raymond Barlow
03-25-2009, 10:18 PM
very cool shot Tim, I like the low angle, and the rich colours., bit tight maybe!

Aidan Briggs
03-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Good comments from above. I love the moody feel to this image. Just a little tight for me.

Mike Boyce
03-26-2009, 02:05 PM
Great colors and angle. I agree with the comments on the whites and the cropping. I would add more space to both the left and the right making the image more rectangular. I love so many of the images I see taken from kiyaks... I'm going to have to try one some day soon. Keep up the good work.