PDA

View Full Version : Buckley Jail

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
03-25-2009, 06:35 PM
Well Grady, I went back out there and when I left it was sunny but by the time I got there it was windy and sleeting good old Michigan weather. We have signs here how many days of darkness.

So I was walking around the front taking photos and a car that went by called the cops saying I was burning the place down. Well two cop cars came out to visit me and saw me taking photos and shook there head. We talk for a while and they knew me from my fishing reports and they even got me permission to go around back and this little shack caught my eye. I almost had to tell them my name was Roman and I'm roaming around.

canon mark III
1/3@ F/22
iso 50
tripod RRS head
canon 17-40 lens
AV

I used Nik for the conversion using tonal contrast then silver effex pro.

Mike Fuhr
03-25-2009, 07:06 PM
What an interesting subject! I really like the picture. The only thing I would say is that the sky in the UL corner is a bit distracting to me. The pine trees keep pushing my eye that direction. I tried a slightly different crop to see if that helped...

Paul Marcellini
03-25-2009, 08:27 PM
You did well with the comp but Mike's does focus on the subjects very nicely. Overall, the processing has some nice punch,just watch out for the halos.

Robert Amoruso
03-26-2009, 06:47 AM
Actually I am going in the other direction here and though the crop does concentrate on one aspect of the image that is interesting, too me the textures in the scene are of great interest to me. I want to see more. I like the grudgy look fo the snow and wish the large patch inthe FG was not clipped on the left and right. I am even thinking a pano here.

But Curly, I really like this as presented. The diagonal of the snow, the layering of snow to grasss to snow to tree line. You lose all that in the crop. Your on the right track with these images IMO. My advice is too concentrate on the wide view and the details, don't neglect any good possible compositions. Nice work.

Roman Kurywczak
03-26-2009, 09:42 AM
Hey Curly,
visited by the cops you say.....been there...done that! Feel free to drop my name any time.....but remember that it may not help! I like both comps.....fo the above mentioned reasons. I would go back and tweak the halos and try to get some more seperation between the building and the evergreens. Careful dodge and burn tweaks should do it. Nicely composed.....and now that you have permission....I'd go back.
BTW....the incident I am referring to......I was with 3 photogs 55+ to 70 years old.....when the woman called on us in Maine......we were dealing drugs! I thought you guys in Maine were friendly Grady!

John Ippolito
03-27-2009, 01:25 AM
Curly, I like it in both versions and would be happy with either. Your PP/conversion is outstanding. Nice find here!