PDA

View Full Version : A simple Black Swan

Rob Drummond
03-25-2009, 06:13 AM
I was out in a hide last night trying to get shots of 150+ Brolgas (our local crane) that have taken up residence in a local flooded meadow. No luck but did get swans grazing ridiculously close. I know they're tame in lots of parks but I got a great deal of pleasure having these wild ones all around me feeding, preening and softly calling to each other. Almost made missing the Brolgas worth it.

1d2n with 500/f4 on tripod
ISO 400 f6.3 1/60 just as the sun was setting - full frame

Daniel Cadieux
03-25-2009, 06:46 AM
I like the overall concept of this image, but I'm finding the neck awfully close to the edge and the thin veil of foreground OOF stuff in LRC unfortunate. Good job on the blacks, and sharpness is good. Glad you got a great opportunity with the wild individuals :-)

Randy Stout
03-25-2009, 07:01 AM
Rob:

I agree with Daniel, about the neck on the left and the LRC area.

If you have it, recrop with more room to left, and I would be really tempted to make it a vertical and crop in from the right edge significantly.

I think they are beautiful birds, love the texture in their feathers.

Cheers

Randy

PS: I reread your description, and saw that it was full frame. Well next time, try pointing the camera a bit to the left! :)

Ákos Lumnitzer
03-25-2009, 07:26 PM
Agree with Daniel about neck and LRC. Still a wonderful image Rob. Lovely exposure and pin sharp. I certainly appreciate your excitement of getting close to these guys. I have a lake nearby home and I can almost touch the Black Swans there, almost. That is not the same kind of achievement or photography. :) Well done. Post some Brolgas please when you can! I would love to see those.

Wayne Ellis
03-25-2009, 09:32 PM
I like the way you have composed this Rob. Didn't think it rained down south anymore :-))

Gerard Satherley
03-28-2009, 06:28 PM
Wonderful image Rob. Nice light, details and background.

Gerard