PDA

View Full Version : Cypripedium macranthos - Lady Slipper Family

John Lowin
03-24-2009, 11:51 PM
My first post in this Forum. This Cypripedium macranthos is one of several asiatic Cypripedium species. It is relatively easy to grow outside if you are not troubled with rabbits or deer. If grown indoors, they require vernalization. (Refrigeration for three months) Hope you like my image. C and C welcome, I'm here to learn. - John

f/20 1:1.6 ISO 100
Canon 1D MkII
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Gitzo 1228 CF Tripod
Arca B1 Ballhead

Ed Vatza
03-25-2009, 05:57 AM
Welcome to the forum. You will find a really nice and helpful group of folks hanging out here.

Overall, I think this is a beautiful image. The composition is excellent as is the focus, sharpness, color, background etc. The only thing I would say is that I think the image could have benefited from some fill to open up the shaded areas a bit more. Other that that, an excellent image. And I am looking forward to seeing more.

Joseph Martines
03-25-2009, 12:51 PM
It's a lovely image.

I would try it with a little more space at the top.

Stuart Frohm
03-25-2009, 03:14 PM
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting your very nice photo.

I'm not one of the stars here, so please take this suggestion for what little it's worth:
Try cropping from the bottom, with the crop being just above (and thus eliminating) the bottom leaf.
I think that'll provide less distraction from the bloom and won't guide the viewer off the frame to the right. However, you might not like the proportion, and you might miss the nice curve of that bottom leaf.

I look forward to seeing more of your photos.
Respectfully,
Stu

Anita Bower
03-25-2009, 05:28 PM
I like this image, partly because I have happy associations with Lady Slippers. I like the simplicity of the single flower against a blurred BG. The colors in the BG pick up the colors in the flower. I especially like the curve of the upper flower petal.

You might lighten up the shaded area of the flower in post processing.

Lovely image!

Julie Kenward
03-25-2009, 07:22 PM
John, welcome to Macro/flora! I do like the overall image but wanted to point a few things out:

First, Ed was right - a little fill flash would have helped to bring up the details in the large purse part of the orchid. I used an action called "Paint With Light" set at 20% and selectively painted on a lighter area on a few of the darker parts of the orchid.

I also painted over a few of the medium gray spots as well. For me, the BG would be more pleasing without them - some good cloning could take care of that if you wished. I simply lightened them up a bit as its quicker. I like that you got great detail in the lady slipper but would have preferred just a bit more blur to the BG.

I like your original composition but felt the image had all the good stuff in the upper half so I tried a different crop just for kicks. I do like your original - that leaf crossing at the base of the stem is a lovely reflection of what's going on at the top but this is just another way to go with it.

Gus Cobos
03-25-2009, 10:10 PM
Hi John,
I like your base composition and capture...I agree with the good advise given...I modified your image to enhance the the tones and hues with a little bit of selective sharpening and levels adjustments on the mid-tones...congratulations on your first post in the Macro forum...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Mike Moats
03-26-2009, 06:29 AM
Hey John, excellent first post, and I agree with the repost eliminating the bottom leaf, much cleaner looking.