PDA

View Full Version : Least Bittern

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
03-24-2009, 10:29 PM
I was at Viera Wetlands today and found this Bittern as I was about to give it up about 6:30 tonight. I apologize for the little bit of white burn on the chest-belly.
Nikon D700
2009:03:24 17:41:15
600mm
600mm (in 35mm film)
1/1600 sec, f/4
Mode: Av
Metering: Center-weighted average
Exp comp: +1/3
ISO: 800
White balance: Auto
Flash: Off
File size: 12.5MB
Image size: 1323 x 1647
Color space: AdobeRGB
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
Contrast: Normal
Color profile: Adobe RGB (1998)

Don Lacy
03-24-2009, 10:51 PM
These guys are hard to get out in the open so you did a good job some what in the open. The whites might be able to be saved in ACR if you shot this in RAW and i wished you had a better head angle.

Steve Leach
03-25-2009, 05:06 AM
I heard that there were a lot of these at Viera lately (Viera is a great place in my opinion, just wish it was closer to me).
It is too bad about the white on the chest, it was the first thing I noticed.
The blue flower is a nice touch, but I wish I could see a bit more of the bittern's body in the shot.
Still a nice shot, I followed on of these the other day trying to get any type of an angle to get a clear and unobstructed view so I know its not always easy with these to get a full or clear view to photo.

Steve

Jen Howell
03-25-2009, 02:35 PM
Such a hard subject to shoot - always in the clutter! The flower provides a nice contrast and the overall color is beautiful. It's too bad the bittern didn't have a better pose for you.
Other than the bit of hot white, my biggest problem would have to do with the crop - I would have liked to see both feet and the last little bit of that tail feather on the right. Still a great find - always exciting to see these little guys!