PDA

View Full Version : Gerber Daisy

John Christian
03-24-2009, 09:06 PM
Nikon D80/105 Micro/Tripod/f32/8 secs/polarizing filter/light was two small flood lamps on tripod/ processed in LR2/sharpened 125% and saturation +9

I took this past weekend. It is still cold and cloudy in Michigan. I went to the local store and picked a model out of the plant section. I haven't had much success with flashes. I wanted to try out some continous lighting.

Joseph Martines
03-25-2009, 12:55 PM
John:

A very nice off-set composition.

Red is such a tough color to process but, you did it.

Anita Bower
03-25-2009, 05:34 PM
Stunning color! The image doesn't seem as sharp as it might be. This is often the case with my photos also. Gerber daisies are fabulous to photograph.

Julie Kenward
03-25-2009, 07:03 PM
It's lovely, John. I agree that you got the reds right...and they are pretty tricky. I think your choice of lighting was fairly successful. I do think you've got a bit of a yellow cast over the image and that's not necessarily a bad thing, I just noticed that the little stamen aren't quite as white as they usually are. It seems to work here, although I do think it could use a boos to the whites.

Thank God for floral shops in winter, eh?

John Christian
03-25-2009, 08:29 PM
It's lovely, John. I agree that you got the reds right...and they are pretty tricky. I think your choice of lighting was fairly successful. I do think you've got a bit of a yellow cast over the image and that's not necessarily a bad thing, I just noticed that the little stamen aren't quite as white as they usually are. It seems to work here, although I do think it could use a boos to the whites.

Thank God for floral shops in winter, eh?
Thanks for the responses. I appreciate the help. Jules, yes thank God for flower shops especially in MI. I have a couple more of the Gerber. I will try and boost the whites. Any suggestions on the best way?

Gus Cobos
03-25-2009, 09:45 PM
Hi John,
I like the texture and the vertical composition. The reds are within the color tonal range. You have sharp details and the focus point is well placed...good show...:cool:

Mike Moats
03-26-2009, 06:25 AM
Hey John, a different comp and I like it. I always use gerberas in my workshops as there are so many different ways to shot them. Well done here.

Julie Kenward
03-27-2009, 05:45 PM
John, there are probably several different ways to do it. I opened the image in Photoshop and did a levels adjustment where all I did was hit the "auto" button and this is what popped up. As you can see the whites are whiter but you lost some of the main color as well. If you want the other color back on the main petals, click on the white mask box next to the layer where it says "levels" and make sure your foreground color is set to black. Grab a soft brush and paint the color back on to the petals while leaving the stamen in the center where they are.

If you need help learning how to do masks, check out the educational forums, or google it online. Anyone who needs help with PS skills, one of the best books on the market (IMHO) are the "Missing Manual" books for Photoshop. They cover almost everything you could ever want to learn in PS.

Rene A
03-27-2009, 06:23 PM
I first played with Topaz Denoise then Adjust & Simplify