PDA

View Full Version : Green heron with mohawk

Beth Goffe
03-24-2009, 06:27 PM
Taken at Wakodahatchee last month, this was the first time I'd seen a green heron raise the feathers on its head. This was taken from the boardwalk so a lower angle (and possibly head turn/sun angle) wasn't possible. Despite this, I like the posture and the bird's pretty plumage.

40D, 100-400 IS, 275mm, 1/200, f5.6, EV +1/3, ISO 400

http://www.pbase.com/bgoffe/image/110553562/original.jpg

Axel Hildebrandt
03-24-2009, 06:40 PM
When did mohawks get back in fashion? :) Great capture, details and light. I would remove the sticks at the top.

Scott Goetz
03-24-2009, 06:45 PM
What a do!
Nice job, Beth.

Scott

joel quenneville
03-24-2009, 07:42 PM
Your lighting, pose and feather detail are all excellent. The hair style is great! Eye contact is good, I love the orange eyes. Having photographed several times from a boardwalk, I can understand the challenges you were facing. Have you ever tried to shoot lying on your stomach? (I'm assuming that this is not the case here. Please correct me if I am wrong.) I agree with Axel on the cloning and I might crop a little from the right.

Fabs Forns
03-24-2009, 09:37 PM
A cfrop from the top will take are of the branches. Great pose with the crest upright, angle is what it is there :)

Beth Goffe
03-25-2009, 08:53 PM
Thanks, everyone! I always manage to disregard the edges and end up with stuff like this. I will go back make the correction.

Joel, with all of the photographers and power walkers, it was kind of tough to lay down. However, there were a number of times I sat on the boardwalk and contorted myself sideways to get my lens through the lowest railing opening. I don't remember what happened with this bird but I'm sure I got strange looks from some of the visitors there. :D