PDA

View Full Version : Above Oberstdorf

John Lowin
03-24-2009, 04:47 PM
This is my first post in this Forum. This is a mountain scape of the Bavarian Alps above the beautiful, year around resort village of Oberstdorf, Bavaria Germany. The tall "Nebelhorn Mountain" can be see at the far left of the range. This is truly a little piece of heaven, above my hometown. Hope you like my image. - John

f/8 1/800 ISO 400 @ 28mm
Canon 1D MkII
Canon EF 28-300mm 1:3.5-5.6
hh

Robert Amoruso
03-25-2009, 06:01 AM
This is one impressive mountain landscape John. The DOF is perfect here as all the detail is a bit of an assault on the senses and I mean that in a good way. When I first opened it, I said WOW.

I like the comp with the slope of the ranges coming from the LL to the UR in the left 2/3 of the image and the tallest peak in the middle ground (the one above the building). The road to the building then leads from the peak down to it.

The further off peaks have a nice horizontal flow that works well with the clouds. Not sure if this was possible, but if including more of the FG could have gotten you a darker edge (green plain vs, the snow) that would have been nice - but a minor point.

Nice work.

John Lowin
03-25-2009, 03:46 PM
This is one impressive mountain landscape John. The DOF is perfect here as all the detail is a bit of an assault on the senses and I mean that in a good way. When I first opened it, I said WOW.

I like the comp with the slope of the ranges coming from the LL to the UR in the left 2/3 of the image and the tallest peak in the middle ground (the one above the building). The road to the building then leads from the peak down to it.

The further off peaks have a nice horizontal flow that works well with the clouds. Not sure if this was possible, but if including more of the FG could have gotten you a darker edge (green plain vs, the snow) that would have been nice - but a minor point.

Nice work.

Thanks Robert for your comments, once again greatly appreciated. I have plenty more FG but it's more snow and a rather ugly structure. So thought this crop was the strongest story I could tell. Not a bad looking location for a hometown. Thanks again. - John

Paul Marcellini
03-25-2009, 07:26 PM
Now thats a view. I do like the transition from green to blue up top. The completely mottled look is a sensory overload. Really great scene and I can't really add to what Robert has already said. The foreground peak is nicely placed.

John Lowin
03-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Now thats a view. I do like the transition from green to blue up top. The completely mottled look is a sensory overload. Really great scene and I can't really add to what Robert has already said. The foreground peak is nicely placed.

Thanks Paul, I appreciate your kind words. - John

Roman Kurywczak
03-26-2009, 09:25 AM
Hi John,
Welcome to the forum! I love the mountains and do like the overall scene.....but the textures appear a bit daunting to me. I feel it's the lack of tonal seperation between the layers......for me I need a bit more depth.....to further strengthen the comp. Try a bit of selective burning and maybe a hair of dodging to further bring out some depth. You can also use multiplied layers (use Robert's tutorial at the top of the landscape forum)....if you are more comfortable with PS.
Nice first post though....and loking forward to more!