PDA

View Full Version : Lady Slipper

Zenon Char
03-24-2009, 02:12 PM
Sorry no data. I have bee entering this for a while at other contest websites and no bites. Wondering what is not making the judges happy.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d74/Zenon1/Lady-Slipper.jpg

Ed Vatza
03-24-2009, 02:54 PM
I'll take a shot here, Zenon but I hope you take this as it is intended - an honest critique.

Lady Slippers are beautiful but I personally have found them difficult to photograph well. Here are a couple of things that I would point out about your image.

1) The twisted structures coming off both sides are cut off and I don't find that pleasing as they are one of the very interesting parts of the flower.
2) The big out-of-focus part at the top (the left twisty thing) stands out like a sore thumb to me. That alone can turn off some judges.
3) I don't find the background bad but it is not attractive so doesn't add anything to the image.
4) And the yellow body of the flower, because it is so shiny, is prone to specular highlights - those white spots that pop up in various places.

These comments are meant to be honest but also helpful for the next Lady Slipper you come across. Holler if you have have any questions related to my comments. I hasten to add that others may see it differently. These are just my opinion. And my opinion and $5 will get me a Starbucks latte! :D

Joseph Martines
03-24-2009, 03:13 PM
Where does one find a lady slipper??

Don't reply "under the bed!"

Zenon Char
03-24-2009, 04:57 PM
Thanks Ed and I appreciate the comments. I don't need a sugar coated response. There has to be a reason why I have not gotten anywhere with this one. Never did really pay much attention to the big out of focus part but I see what you mean. Personally I never liked the body of the flower. I do like the upper.

I got this shot in Nopiming Provincial Park. About Central Canada in the Boreal Forest.

Mike Moats
03-24-2009, 05:40 PM
Hey Zenon, I will second all what Ed said. On my screen the yellow body looks soft on focus, but I'm on my laptop.

Gus Cobos
03-24-2009, 06:12 PM
Hi Zenon,
Ed's assessment covers the techs quite nicely, I find that the yellow is a bit too saturated and lacking definition and details...the green out of focus leaf in the background takes the attention from your main subject...I would keep this as a record image, and go for your next one, with all of the improvements in mind...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Zenon Char
03-24-2009, 06:13 PM
No it's soft. I always knew that and I just thought it may not matter that much but it looks like it does. Not one of my favorites and there will be more.

Gus Cobos
03-24-2009, 06:32 PM
This is a good learning record shot for you Zenon, use it. learn from it, and make it better...your next one is going to be a "10"...:D Now show me what you can really do...I know you can, go for it...:):cool: