PDA

View Full Version : Grey Nurse Shark

Ákos Lumnitzer
03-24-2009, 01:45 AM
Carcharias taurus - aka Sand Tiger off Sydney's Maroubra Beach in 16 meters of water.

Photographed with a Nikonos V, 15mm lens and single overhead flash. Settings about f/4 @ 1/30th. Fujichrome ISO100 sensia.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3429/3365539775_6fd1af2c48_o.jpg

Robert Amoruso
03-24-2009, 06:14 AM
That is one nasty looking dude. I like how you got him parallel in the image as that accentuates his lines well. Like the small fish around him. Would have liked the diver either more to the right or not in the image. The overhanging rock is a bit of a distracting. That said, I realize that shooting underwater is not quite the same as top-side. Cool lookin image.

Alfred Forns
03-24-2009, 12:26 PM
One fine image Akos !!! Can't imagine how you were able to get that close, could only dream !!!

Love the framing and diver position !!! Sweet !!
We have them locally and mostly harmless .... sure look like they mean business !!! ... our equivalent seem to be the sand tiger.

Ákos Lumnitzer
03-24-2009, 02:16 PM
One of the tamest sharks actually Al and Robert. They do look fearsome and while closely related to Great Whites, these generally avoid encounters rather than attack someone. I guess it would only happen if a diver really cornered them and annoyed them to death. I agree the overhanging rock looks more distracting than a positive element. I was possibly trying to include it as a frame or showing the fact that I was under it as the shark swam between me and my friend. I had absolutely no idea about composition at this stage of my photography.

Fabs Forns
03-24-2009, 02:58 PM
The shark looks metallic!!!
I am so happy to see underwater wok being posted, always a highlight and not easy to run into.

Thanks and keep them coming!

anita ray
03-24-2009, 06:44 PM
Sharks and divers are always a good combo.
I like it.

John Ippolito
03-25-2009, 01:46 AM
Akos, the single OH fill flash nicely lit up the shark giving us a view of it's gills, eye, mouth, and even a hint of the texture of the skin. For me, the diver is not an issue, but the scuba bubbles behind the shark's nose are somewhat distracting. Let's see some more UW. Nice job.