PDA

View Full Version : Headed to Moss Landing...

Arthur Morris
03-23-2009, 07:53 PM
This Osprey carrying Spanish moss for its nest was photographed down by the lake at my home in Indian Lake Estates, FL with the handheld Canon 400mm f/4 IS DO lens and the EOS-50D. ISO 400. Evaluative metering at zero (yikes!): 1/2000 sec. at f/8.

As it was early in the day, I should have added one stop to the suggested exposure but I followed my old rule: when in doubt, press the shutter button. I thought that I had set +1 but found to my dismay that I had not. IAC, I was surprised that over-exposing one stop during conversion (in BreezeBrowser) did not cause much noise. In fact, I like the look of the image. I think that the orange thingies are oak leaves.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Randy Stout
03-23-2009, 07:58 PM
Artie:

I like the tilt of the osprey, makes it look like he is really working to tow that along. Noise looks fine on my monitor. Sharp of course.

Randy

Axel Hildebrandt
03-23-2009, 08:20 PM
I like the composition, eye contact and the moss adds interest. The eye seems sharper than the plumage but it's a bit hard to tell at this size.

Ákos Lumnitzer
03-23-2009, 11:19 PM
Interesting behavioral image Artie. :)

Kobus Tollig
03-24-2009, 12:09 AM
I think the exposure is great. Great comp and moment well done on this

Tony Whitehead
03-24-2009, 04:27 AM
Interesting capture. Must have been great to see this in motion. Wing position works well with the comp. Did the whole payload make it or did the end bit drop off (seems to be just hanging by a thread)?

Arthur Morris
03-24-2009, 09:45 AM
Interesting capture. Must have been great to see this in motion. Wing position works well with the comp. Did the whole payload make it or did the end bit drop off (seems to be just hanging by a thread)?

Not sure if any fell off as he flew well to the east. He is not nesting down by the lake where there are several paris. Funny how some of the stuff always seems to fall off however.