PDA

View Full Version : Orchid

Jackie Schuknecht
03-23-2009, 06:18 PM
My first post in this section. I originally posted this in the ETL section, but thought I'd try here to see what kind of comments I would get.
It is a seven image autoblend in CS4 of jpegs.
40D
f2.8
100mm macro
Ambient indoor light
ISO 400
1/80s
Tripod
Straightened and cropped a little.
Focused on seven different spots and then merged together.

Ed Vatza
03-24-2009, 05:03 AM
Good morning Jackie,

The part of the flower that is in focus looks WONDERFUL to me. The color is fantastic and the image sharp. But the outof focus petal in the background really troubles me. It is so big and so oof. I'm thinking my problem may be that there seems to be no transition from in focus to the oof but I'm not sure that's it.

And I still am having problems with white backgrounds. They just seems so stark to me. I know I've said it several times here and been shouted down each time but that's the way I feel. I remember reading somewhere that we should never use white backgrounds and it has scarred me for life!:(

Julie Kenward
03-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Jackie, I can't believe you've never posted here before! I guess I'm just so used to seeing you in the OOTB forum...

This is really lovely but I agree with Ed on the back petal - it would be nice if there were a bit of focus there. Your colors are outstanding and the detail in the front area is superb - and I love a white background against this intense color so that's one for and one against. (Sorry Ed!)

Anita Bower
03-24-2009, 01:28 PM
Beautiful color and composition. I like white BGs! The white BG here works well with the white in the Orchid. The sharp areas are so sharp that I want to see the whole flower sharp.

Joseph Martines
03-24-2009, 03:11 PM
Hmmmm. I like it, then I've never seen an orchid image I didn't like!!

Such a vivid color is hard to select a good complimentary back ground for.

I think that when you combined the images that it accentuated the OOF back petal.

It would be interesting to see what the result would be if you cropped some of the blur out of the image....????

Mike Moats
03-24-2009, 05:27 PM
Hey Jackie, nice to see you post here. I usually like a lot of focus, but this one seems to work for me. The white BG looks fine.

Ed Vatza
03-24-2009, 05:57 PM
And I still am having problems with white backgrounds. They just seems so stark to me. I know I've said it several times here and been shouted down each time but that's the way I feel.

See what I mean!:)

Jackie Schuknecht
03-24-2009, 06:14 PM
Thanks for all of your comments, all very helpful. This process (auto blend) has got me intrigued, so I hope to post some more and try for more of the flower in focus! (if my orchid is still in bloom:)) Yes Ed, you did get voted down :( , but you have put the bug in my ear.

Gus Cobos
03-24-2009, 06:29 PM
Lady Jackie,
I like the composition, image and capture very much...the color rendition on the flower is dead on, I like the selective focus combined with the play on the depth of field...the gradual transition from sharp, to medium, to soft focus is handled very well, as far as the neutral white background, I think it showcases your beautiful subject quite well...:) my only suggestion would be to crop 1/4 from the left side of the frame to eliminate the negative space, thus placing more attention on this lovely lady...good show...looking forward to your next creation...:) remember...FROM THE HEART...:cool:

denise ippolito
03-24-2009, 09:15 PM
Jackie, Very nicely done. I love the high-key BG. Some of the best photographers in the world use High-key BG's. It's a matter of preference. Ed likes things very saturated -that is his preference. Sometimes I like things very saturated ,sometimes I don't. Variety is the spice of life. Do what makes you happy-always!:)

Ed Vatza
03-25-2009, 05:29 AM
I love the high-key BG. Some of the best photographers in the world use High-key BG's. It's a matter of preference... Do what makes you happy-always!:)

I don't deny that many photographers use white backgrounds. Just Google "white background photos" and you will find a bazillion of them.

But there are also those who stay away. It's no secret that I really like Tony Sweet's flower and nature photography. Here's is something he said about white backgrounds.

"Backgrounds are important. They're critical to me. Again, I can't emphasize the importance of backgrounds enough.

As far as the background dominating: the background should never dominate a flower...

For example, never use white backgrounds. Anything white pulls your eye away from the subject, there's no question about that. It's bright, your eye goes to the brightest spot first, and then to the sharpest." (from www.7photographyquestions.com)

Personally, and it is a personal thing, I find white backgrounds stark and distracting. They make me feel uncomfortable. But that's me.

In the final analysis, I could agree more... do what makes you happy! You like white backgrounds, I like black backgrounds. It's what makes the world go 'round.

Reminds me of a humanistic psychology mantra from the 60s - The Gestalt Prayer. It goes something like this

I do my thing and you do your thing
I am not in this world to
live up to your expectations,
and you are not in this world to
live up to mine.
You are you
and I am I
and if by chance we find each other,
it's beautiful.

Enough philosophizing. This is Jackie's thread and Jackie's image.

denise ippolito
03-25-2009, 06:52 AM
Ed, That saying is on a plaque in my office-That's so funny! I didn't think too many people knew that one! Anyway my point to Jackie was not to listen to me or to listen to you but to listen to her mind. Everyone's perception of beauty is different-She will never please everyone and neither will any of us- In the end it's about your own personal style. BTW-Tony Sweet Rocks!!!!!

Stuart Frohm
03-25-2009, 03:51 PM
You might want to see whether you like the results if you crop in from the left and also perhaps almost an eighth of an inch from the bottom. On my monitor, my suggested crop is approximately 2 1/4 inch from the left. Perhaps that brings more immediate attention (less distraction from?) the two-pronged part (anther?) of the flower which extends to the left — and also to the other parts of the flower which are in sharpest focus.

I offer the above with great respect for your already very pleasing image.

All best,
Stu