PDA

View Full Version : Sunday visit to Gatorland

Nancy A Elwood
03-23-2009, 11:15 AM
Hi all. Went to Gatorland yesterday and there were more great egret nests and yes the cattle egrets have started to arrive and set up nest making. There were even two swallow tailed kites flying about, BUT just outside range, as you know they do:D:(. The snowy's were making their usual squacks and so caught this one in the act. Taken with the D300, Nikon 500 f4 with 1.4 TC, iso 1000, 1/320. I used onOne FocalPoint to help with the BG. All thoughts appreciated:).

http://www.naturesportal.net/photos/497270673_qsvQa-L.jpg

Dan Walker
03-23-2009, 11:41 AM
love the detail in the feathers here, with a good pose. BG is a little busy but does not bother me too much. Only would like to see more of the other foot, but you can't control everything. Nice image.

Randy Stout
03-23-2009, 11:53 AM
Nancy:

This guy is really shaking it! Great display, nice head angle,colorful lores.

The busy background is a bit distracting. I find the worst offender for me is the left upper corner. I might be tempted to try a vertical, rather that square crop, to eliminate most of the upper left hand corner. Something like cropping to the most medial aspect of the lower frond in the upper left corner. This would be a bit tight, but I think perhaps better than the distraction.

A beautiful bird. Thanks for sharing.

Randy

Fabs Forns
03-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Nice display of a beautiful bird. BG can be problematic in the Farms, even with Focal One. Agree on the palm leaf being a pain but on the other hand the leaves just under it are nice. I may play with different crops and see it that help. Even go darker on the vignetting.

Randy Stout
03-23-2009, 12:38 PM
Nancy:

This is the crop I was thinking of. I think it could be loosened up a bit, see what folks think.

Randy

Nancy A Elwood
03-23-2009, 12:39 PM
Thanks all! Thought I would repost after having a rethink with suggestions.

http://nelwood.smugmug.com/photos/497323915_KmSxL-L.jpg

Nancy A Elwood
03-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Nancy:

This is the crop I was thinking of. I think it could be loosened up a bit, see what folks think.

Randy

Randy, unbelieveable, we reposted at the same time with the same ideas!!:D:D Great minds think alike and thanks for yours!!

Maxis Gamez
03-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Hi Nancy,

Everything mentioned. The good news is that they will nest closer and closer to the board walk. Last year I was able to get them with a clean BG with my 70-200mm. The next upcoming months should be very active and a great reason to go back.

What I like about this image is that you managed the whites properly.

Take care

Randy Stout
03-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Nancy:

I think yours is a nice combination, cloning out the bottom, most offensive frond, and moving in the crop a bit as well.

Randy

Nancy A Elwood
03-23-2009, 04:26 PM
Hi Nancy, very funny display, the bird must have been in a very good mood. I agree with the distractions of the palm leaves, but I believe the space in front of the bird is needed. I tried to clone the palms out with material from the urc. Would like to hear your view on this.

Peter I like it!! I did do a bit of that with some of the other offending greenery, but just did not do that corner. Well done, thanks:).

Zenon Char
03-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Great detail. I was in Florida in 2007. I loved Gatorland.