PDA

View Full Version : Harlequin Duck

Ed Vatza
01-01-2008, 06:13 PM
Hi there. I made this image this past weekend at Barnegat Inlet in New Jersey using a Canon 30D and 400mm f/5.6L lens with a Canon 430EX Flash and Better Beamer mounted on a tripod.

1/500 sec at f/5.6; ISO 400; EC +2/3; FEC -2/3

I am relatively new to bird photography (less than year) and want to get better - much better. Be gentle but be honest. I am here to learn. Thanks.

And I hope I posted the image correctly.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/EdV_02/054_1_2.jpg

Maxis Gamez
01-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Hi Ed. Welcome to BPN.

This is a very nice image, the composition works very well and the details, colors and exposure are all in the money. I wish the duck could be facing you a little more but that's out of our hands. But a fine image as it is.

Thanks for posting!

Fabs Forns
01-01-2008, 06:20 PM
Hi Ed,

Red carpet welcome to BPN!!

If you want to learn, you have come to the right place.

So let's get started. Wish for a lower angle, although by the look of the rock I may not have gone down either :)
A more pronounced head turn your way would have improved the image, making it more pleasing to the eye and most important, placing the eye and the tip of the bill on the same plane, thus yielding more sharpness in the latter.

Love the monochromatic fore and background, making the duck really stand out. Excellent exposure and sharpness!
Congratulations.

Alfred Forns
01-01-2008, 06:28 PM
I like Fabs suggestions Getting low will probably give you the fastest impact Do be careful with the wet rocks !!!!

Good tech settings lots of shadow detail !!!! Hoping to see lots more !!!!

Ed Vatza
01-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Maxis, Fabs, Al,

Thanks for the feedback as well as the suggestions. They are excellent but you knew that! :)

I have to concentrate on getting low. On this particular jetty I was above everything. You can imagine if the duck was in the water; I'd be even higher. These rocks were wet. And they were slippery. And I did "get down" but not on purpose!:( As I was falling, all I could think of was saving the gear which, somehow, I did at the expense of my knees, jeans, etc. But in true photographer fashion, I hoisted myself up and continued to work the jetty! At least until a wave caught me but thats another post and another story!

I will definitely work on my patience and wait for a better head turn when I can. And that tip on keeping the eye and tip of the bill in the same plane was worth the price of membership! :) You know what I mean!

George DeCamp
01-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Hey Ed,

That is a sweet looking duckie! You did well I think, besides the nits mentioned above. I think you need just to get a more cooperative subject and maybe some better light and you are there. Lets see some more in the days to come!

ps: Image was posted like a champ!

Ed Vatza
01-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Hey Ed,

That is a sweet looking duckie! You did well I think, besides the nits mentioned above. I think you need just to get a more cooperative subject and maybe some better light and you are there. Lets see some more in the days to come!

ps: Image was posted like a champ!

I appreciate the comments/feedback George. You know, I find so few cooperative birds. Sixteen people can walk by with their dogs and the bird doesn't move. I take one step in their direction with the camera and tripod over my shoulder and their gone!

On a more serious note, Light was an issue. It was very overcast. That was one of the reasons why I went with the flash which is one area where I need to improve.

Again, thanks for the feedback George.