PDA

View Full Version : More on the Drypod Wader

Jim Caldwell
03-22-2009, 07:08 PM
Earlier this year, I taped an interview with RJ Wiley talking about the Drypod. I find this to be a great product to keep minerals and salt water off your expensive tripod and Rod is constantly improving the product and has been discussed here in the past. Here is a link to the video I created - so you can hear it directly from the inventor himself!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_ilIV7v5jE

Also, I taped another session with RJ to show his recommended method for installing the Drypod Wader on your own tripod.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp415Y9PKhc

Enjoy!

Rod Wiley
03-22-2009, 09:16 PM
Thanks Jim, since we did the video I've made a couple of changes to the Drypod. There is now 9 sleeves with the kit. Because some guys like the lighter 6 mill sleeve I've added 3 to this kit along with 6 heavy sleeves. The lighter sleeves will also allow they guys to fold the boots and sleeves and put them in their pocket incase they need them. The new boots only weigh a few ounces and have the Velcro's sewn on, some thing that Art suggested to keep them from getting lost. The new boots also make it possible to use the sleeves without the multi layer boot, this cuts down on the cost, that's why I've added 5 extra sleeves with each kit.

Alfred Forns
03-22-2009, 09:40 PM
Love the Drypods and the way Rod has made changes !! I'm one of the ones liking the thinner sleeves for easily bending legs !!

Thanks for the links Jim !!!

Michael Pancier
03-23-2009, 12:51 AM
Thanks Jim, since we did the video I've made a couple of changes to the Drypod. There is now 9 sleeves with the kit. Because some guys like the lighter 6 mill sleeve I've added 3 to this kit along with 6 heavy sleeves. The lighter sleeves will also allow they guys to fold the boots and sleeves and put them in their pocket incase they need them. The new boots only weigh a few ounces and have the Velcro's sewn on, some thing that Art suggested to keep them from getting lost. The new boots also make it possible to use the sleeves without the multi layer boot, this cuts down on the cost, that's why I've added 5 extra sleeves with each kit.

I'm shooting this Saturday with James. Does he sell the new and improved drypods or can I get them from you before hand?

Jim Caldwell
03-23-2009, 08:53 AM
James may have them, but you may wish to check with him first - otherwise you can order them from Art Morris at www.birdsasart.com (http://www.birdsasart.com) or directly from RJ at http://www.fototime.com/852C2DF680817BF/orig.jpg. These would work great out in the bay for spoonbills! You're going to have a great time - wish I could join you!!

Rod Wiley
03-23-2009, 10:22 AM
Michael, James does not carry the Drypods, I wrote Artie this morning and told him to expect your call and he will take care of it. If you can't reach him let me know and I'll ship you out a pair today. Rod

Rod Wiley
03-23-2009, 10:23 AM
Jim that link is not good anymore here's the new one www.drypods.net (http://www.drypods.net) thanks Rod

Michael Pancier
03-23-2009, 10:30 AM
Michael, James does not carry the Drypods, I wrote Artie this morning and told him to expect your call and he will take care of it. If you can't reach him let me know and I'll ship you out a pair today. Rod

I just left artie a message on the BAA hotline...

Update: Ordered via BAA and should get it in time; they're expediting delivery.

Rod Wiley
03-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Michael I got them shipped out this afternoon, I live in Bonita Springs and shipped it priority mail, if the post office doesn't mess it up you should get them by Wednesday. If your going to use Gator Ally and 75 north you could stop by and pick one up if yours doesn't get there on time. I've mailed you the new version with both heavy and light duty sleeves, your feed back is greatly appreciated. Rod

Michael Pancier
03-23-2009, 02:39 PM
Michael I got them shipped out this afternoon, I live in Bonita Springs and shipped it priority mail, if the post office doesn't mess it up you should get them by Wednesday. If your going to use Gator Ally and 75 north you could stop by and pick one up if yours doesn't get there on time. I've mailed you the new version with both heavy and light duty sleeves, your feed back is greatly appreciated. Rod

great. looking forward to using them in my never ending quest for the spoon..

Peter Hawrylyshyn
03-23-2009, 04:46 PM
rod -
can you clarify the difference between the thin and thick sleeves +/- boots and what is in each kit that you or Artie now sell
thanks
PH

Rod Wiley
03-23-2009, 07:24 PM
Peter the kits have 9 sleeves ( 3 sets ) 6 of them are made of the 10 mil plastic and 3 are made of a lighter 6 mil plastic. The reason for both being in the kit is kind of like a trial pack. During testing some of the guys liked the thin wall 6 mil sleeve because they could adjust the height of there tripod a little easier because the plastic is thinner allowing more friction on the leg locks to loosen and tighten them. Others like my self prefer the thicker sleeve because I use the slide locks to adjust the height because it much faster and the heaver sleeve won't tear as easy. There are refills available for the kits in either 6 or 10 so you can order the one that works best for your shooting style.
Each kit comes with 3 boots to protect the plastic sleeve from abrasions and cuts. Each boot has two Velcro's wraps sewn on so they won't get lost. Each kit comes with 3 Velcro wraps to hold the sleeve on and some repair tape just in case. These Drypods must ALWAYS be used with the boots or you will wear the plastic out. If you go to www.drypods.net (http://www.drypods.net) you can see some pic of the set up. Thanks Rod

Sid Garige
03-24-2009, 08:53 PM
Excellent job Jim. What else is coming?

Peter Hawrylyshyn
03-26-2009, 06:49 AM
rod -
thanks for the explanation and the 2nd video is very informative. I can see how they'd really be useful in Florida.

never having yet seen the real product - - what happens when you take them out of the water - - do you have to let them dry, any special cleaning / after care, ...?
PH

Rod Wiley
03-26-2009, 06:57 AM
Mine a are usally pretty dry by the time I get back to the truck. When I plan on going back I just leave them on and hose them off when I get home. The plastic is so slick a garden hose will clean them up real fast. No special care, when one wears out, just put another one on. Just rinse the boots off with clean water and let them dry and thats it. Thanks Rod

Jim Caldwell
03-26-2009, 08:20 AM
Excellent job Jim. What else is coming?

Thanks Sid - I'm trying to get an interview I did with Al Jacobson (inventor and manufacturer of the Black Box and Tuxedo battery packs for flash units) finished before I leave for Turkey on March 30th. This is a nearly 20 minute interview I did with him!

....and there is more to come!