PDA

View Full Version : Ranunculus #2

Ed Vatza
03-22-2009, 06:15 PM
Another image from yesterday's visit to the greenhouse.

Same set-up as described in "Ranunculus".

1/500 sec @ f/5.6; ISO 100; -1/3 EV; FEC -1

denise ippolito
03-23-2009, 09:02 AM
Hi Ed, I like the colors alot here .I like the sharpness of the front turned petal, I wish the bud were in back of the bloom and not your main focus-but that's just my opinion and others may feel differently. BG colors are sweet and I might tone down the one spot above the bloom-Really nicely done and I am enjoying your new series very much-I love Ranunculus,they remind me of old fashioned cabbage roses.

Julie Kenward
03-23-2009, 12:19 PM
The bud in front doesn't really bother me but there are two red spots - the one Denise mentioned and one below between the bud and the flower - those could both stand to be pulled back just a bit.

Geez but these are beautiful images! The red BG's are gorgeous!!! You got wonderful DOF in this one as well.

Mike Moats
03-23-2009, 04:08 PM
Hey Ed, I wasn't sure about the bud, but the more I look at it I think it works out fine. Good details and love the red BG. Really pops.

Ed Vatza
03-24-2009, 05:21 AM
Thanks to all the folks who responded either publicly here on forum or privately via PM. I appreciate all the comments and feedback. The color issue is interesting to me. I generally prefer bright, bold colors both in the flowers and in the backgrounds. Granted, once in a while I cross the line and oversaturate and I get a print that looks terrible. But most of time, I feel I am at the edge but on the right side of it. I did desaturate the orange Ranunculus in the earlier image because I felt the saturation took some of the detail. But here, I don't want detail in the background. I just want big, bold beautiful patches of color. And I think that is what the reds deliver. I'm not sure I explained that as clearly as I wanted but hopefully it is clear enough to follow.