PDA

View Full Version : Killdeer Guarding Eggs

Bill Foxworthy
03-22-2009, 12:09 PM
Canon 5D MKII, 500 f/4L +1.4ext. East Manatee county, Fl.
TV Mode, 1/2500, f/5.6 +.33EV, ISO 2500 in auto mode, cloudy day, natural light
Slight sharpen in Topaz Adjust

Fabs Forns
03-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Very nice habitat and the inclusion of the eggs a big plus. Light is soft and nicely composed.

Bill Foxworthy
03-23-2009, 04:54 AM
Thanks Fabs!

denise ippolito
03-24-2009, 01:45 PM
Bill, I looked at this several times and had a hard time commenting on it. I just got back from a trip to Florida and was at the Three Lakes WM and saw one of these little guys, it was my first Kildeer-he was so cute and seemed to stay right there for me to capture-it wasn't until he turned around that I saw he had blood dripping from a large wound. I looked him over and he was pretty bad-there was nothing I could do for him. He didn't last very long-but the impact has stayed with me. I love your image and the inclusion of the eggs is really special. Great eye contact and really well done.

Bill Foxworthy
03-24-2009, 02:30 PM
Thank you Denise. That is a sad story. I visited this area again yesterday and it is just across the road from an Eagle Nest with young eagles in it. I turned around to look for this Killdeer again and I did not see it. I walked down a bank and looked for the nest and after spotting it I noticed the bird was not there , but only one egg was left. I can only possibly assume that the Eagle spotted it and probably took it for their young. I cannot verify that but only guess so I do not know if that is what happened or not. I hope not but assume that is what happened. Very sad also as they are really beautiful up close. Thanks again
Bill

denise ippolito
03-24-2009, 02:47 PM
Bill, Sometimes when we put ourselves out there to photograph nature we get a dose of what it is really about-sad isn't it- these little ones are so often food for the larger ones. I agree they are really beautiful up-close!