PDA

View Full Version : Rock and Sky

Zenon Char
03-21-2009, 11:01 PM
Joshua State tree park. Canon 40D and Canon 10-22.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d74/Zenon1/Joshua1.jpg

Dave Mills
03-21-2009, 11:11 PM
Hi Zenon...I noticed your image had a bluish caste to it and I took it out using Silver Efex( a Nik filter)

Zenon Char
03-21-2009, 11:22 PM
I used B&W Studio by Power Retouche for the original. Thanks for the different tone perspective. I have several NIK products but not Silver Efex. NIK makes great stuff. PR is as pricey as SE so hard to justify. I can control the tones with PR as well.

Paul Marcellini
03-22-2009, 09:17 AM
My type of comp, lots to look at and i love the sweeping foreground and clouds. The tonal range is very nice for the conversion and I think Dave nailed it with the toning.

Roman Kurywczak
03-22-2009, 11:37 AM
Hi Zenon,
I think Dave's re-post did bring out more of the tones in the conversion.....and I will re-post and add something more to that.....but let's discuss the comp first. Very nice use of the line in the depression to lead us through the image and the FG rocks are nicely placed to balance the wonderful cloud formation. Great time of day also.....that brought out all the nice delicate tones and shapes of the rocks. As I said above....I agree with Paul that Dave's re-post brought out some nice tones......but I wanted a even more.....and after seeing the different programs being used.....decided to do a little old school......just the dodge and burn tool...This is still a very effective way of bringing out subtle details in areas to add even more punch......although very labor intensive......but may just add the tweaks you need when making a larger print. I did do an extensive amount...using Dave's re-post.....just to show how you can bring out even more details and tones with the simplest of tools. May not appeal to everyones tastes.....but does show the possibilities and gives you some other ideas to keep in mind.
All in all.....very nicely composed.....the suggestons above can only improve the comp to ones tastes!
PS I did hit it with a slight contrast boost at the end.....just to add the final pop.

Zenon Char
03-22-2009, 04:34 PM
Yes that added a little more punch to it and the highlights still show detail. Thanks

Robert Amoruso
03-23-2009, 11:26 AM
Roman,

Glad you remembered to add that you did a local contrast enhancement as I am looking at this, thinking you did and your not mentioning it.

Zenon,

Great image to start with for the reasons mentioned and especially based on Roman's assessment of the composition made better with the B$W tonal enhancements.

Joshua Tree is a great place.

Zenon Char
03-23-2009, 08:40 PM
Yes we had a great time there but it was so cold the day we visited the park (February of 2008). Wind made it hard to hold the cameras. I'm from Canada so I'm conditioned but when I go there look for heat, lol. It was cold all over North America as I recall. We stayed in Palm Springs and there was this huge windstorm. Palm leaves all over the streets the next day.