PDA

View Full Version : Going to Yosemite

Jackie Schuknecht
03-21-2009, 10:28 PM
In June I will be going to San Francisco and area for two weeks. Four days will be spent in Yosemite. Denise already recommended the panoramic trail, does anyone have any other suggestions. I am trying to get Michael Frye's book on places to photograph in Yosemite. I am also going to Carmel, Morro Bay, and about as much as I can squeeze in.

Thanks!

Aidan Briggs
03-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Hi Jackie,

I've only been to Yosemite twice(once in may, once in june), and I didn't get to do much photography. There were several tame stellar's jays hanging around the headquarters, and a couple white-headed woodpeckers that had nest holes in the side of a building near a bus stop.(can't remember which one) I also saw a robins nest that had about 15 photographers clustered around it.

I know a ton about the Morro Bay area, so if you have any questions, just ask them. I would say that if you came in may instead of june, there would be twice as many birds. (just a suggestion)

Hope this helps.

Kerry Perkins
03-23-2009, 11:01 PM
Jackie, very nice trip you have planned to our neck of the woods. I highly recommend Tuolumne Meadows and the trail along the Tuolumne River that starts at the south end of the campground. Also, the meadows along the road to Glacier Point as well as the area around the end of the road are good. You will be amazed at the variety of birds you find there (especially at that time of year), and you might even get to see a Great Gray Owl.

Can't wait to see the pictures... If I weren't going to Yellowstone in June I would come up and meet you!

Phil Colla
03-24-2009, 12:11 AM
In June all the falls are usually doing great. Panorama trail will get you good views of Nevada Falls, afternoon is best. Mist trail will get you good views of Vernal Falls and, if you continue, Nevada Falls as well -- afternoon is best for Vernal. Midmorning is best for Yosemite Falls since that is when the light will fully illuminate the falls (they are shadowed earlier in the morning). Late light is best on Bridalveil Falls, you can catch a rainbow in the falls near sunset as viewed from the parking lot. Photography of El Capitan is good both morning and late afternoon, as it has two faces that catch light at either end of the day. Half Dome is really a late afternoon shot, many places to compose it. Michael Frye's book is the best one to use. Plan your shots ahead of time for the best times of day and you will make the most of your time there. Tuolomne Meadows and Tioga Pass will require at least a full day to see if you are based in the valley, so don't skimp on the time you allocate to Tuolumne.

denise ippolito
03-24-2009, 11:07 AM
Jackie, Tuolumne is really nice and Lembert Dome is a nice climb w/o gear-you can watch the stars there-it's fantastic. The meadow is awesome. Have fun!!

Jackie Schuknecht
03-25-2009, 12:39 PM
Thanks everyone for your input, you have saved me a lot of time and guessing. Great recommendations all and duly noted. Kerry I would take you up on your offer, too bad , maybe our paths will cross at another time. Denise, thanks again for your helpfulness! Phil just what I needed........ time of day shots, many thanks! Aidan thanks for the info on Morro Bay, it will be the first two weeks in June so maybe I'll get half of the birds:) Thanks again!