PDA

View Full Version : Gt. Blue Heron white morph

Richard Stern
03-21-2009, 04:07 PM
This was at a resort on my Cuba trip recently. More of a mood image than a bird portrait, but I hope people like it. I tried both lightening and darkening the heron, and tried a vertical crop, but in the end decided that the original (with a bit of sharpening and noise reduction), as posted here, was what pleased me most.

D300, Nikon 80-400, hand-held
ISO800, 1/1000 at f5.6, spot-metered on the bird.

Richard

Daniel Cadieux
03-21-2009, 04:35 PM
More of a mood image than a bird portrait...

And great mood indeed. For compositional purposes I would probably crop abit from right - enough to rid the lower leaves running down the edge. I would also clean up the imperfection on the face reflection, and eliminate the small dark spots in the water. All-in-all very nice, and I like how the subject is framed above by the reflected vegetation.

Arthur Morris
03-21-2009, 04:49 PM
You chose your perspective well. I love the colors of the water, but the bird could go lighter for me as there is no detail in the face. Perhaps a vertical ORIG capture would have worked well.

David Thomasson
03-21-2009, 05:42 PM
Beautiful composition and light. My first thought was like Arthur's, that the bird needed brightening. But I tried it in Photoshop and couldn't get satisfactory results consistent with the ambient light. You might consider going the other way: darkening the bird so the image is more about form, and there's less temptation for viewers to peep for details in the bird.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/9194/placid.jpg

Stu Bowie
03-22-2009, 06:02 AM
Amazing colours, and well done for including a full reflection. I would maybe lighten the bird, and comp wise, move him back to the right a bit. Still, a great image Richard.