PDA

View Full Version : Peep Hole

Mike Tracy
03-21-2009, 09:08 AM
I don't feel qualified to comment on others landscape images and am unsure if this is worth even posting so let me have it.

Taken from a small boat off of Kenai Fjords N.P, AK last summer. It was sort of a hazy day and I can't seem to get rid of the blueish green cast although maybe it was meant to be since all the elements are either blue or green.

20D, 100-400 @ 100mm, 1/500, f/10, ISO 400

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
03-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Hi Mike I like the image and comp, it is hard from shooting from dark out to bright snow. I like how you have the water and sky balanced also. I ran it though Nik plugin. white neutralizer

Paul Marcellini
03-21-2009, 02:41 PM
I like this and your creativity. You did well for being on a boat. Only nit is i wish the hole was completely in frame, the little sliver up top catches my eye. Keep posting, and anyone is qualified to critique. Just say what you like, dislike in a well behaved manner. =)

David Thomasson
03-21-2009, 04:18 PM
It's a pleasing shot. I like it. Here's a trick for taking care of the color cast:

Duplicate the background layer and run Filter > Blur > Blur Average. That layer will turn a solid blue/green.
Open a levels adjustment layer above that and click the gray dropper on the averaged layer. It'll turn gray.
Delete the averaged layer. The levels adjustment will have mostly removed the color cast (doesn't work on all images, but it works on this one).

I didn't think that removed quite enough of the blue cast, so I duplicated the levels adjustment layer (Ctrl+J). You could then adjust layer opacity on that one if that takes the correction too far for your eye. I left both levels layers at 100%.

I did a few other things, but that's one way to correct the color cast. (Obviously, I'm assuming you have Photoshop. :cool:)

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/719/rockhole2b.jpg

Roman Kurywczak
03-22-2009, 10:36 AM
Hey Mike,
As Paul mentioned.....nicely seen and composed off the boat.....and I do agree with the top of the hole......although if you are not against such things......you could add in a little of the darker area....to remedy that. Compositionally....this was seen well and David did bring out some more depth and got rid of the cast nicely. As with most things....the light is a bit harsh as you lost most of the detail in the snow.....but again....moving boat......can't go for those long early am/late pm exposures. It hink a few PP'ing tweaks will further enhance this image....my preference was for a darker window.....so burn that in some more.....try playing around some more and I think you will end up with a keeper.

Robert Amoruso
03-23-2009, 11:33 AM
Mike,

I would agree that if you could have backed up a bit or gone to a wider view, getting the full frame and not having the BG protrude into the top and bottom margins would have been best.

That said, great job seeing this image and framing it like this.

David Thomasson
03-23-2009, 12:16 PM
The foreground is just jagged rocks. Simple job to close the gaps at top and bottom so the background doesn't merge with the frame.

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/3152/rockhole3.jpg