PDA

View Full Version : Bee on unbloomed flower

Caleb Royer
03-20-2009, 05:17 PM
I am not sure what kind of bee this is but as for the flower I think it is a Daffodil.

weather: blue skies
date: 3/16/2009 around 4:00pm
camera body: Canon 40D
lens: Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 macro USM
aperture: f/2.8
shutter speed: 1/320
ISO: 100
resolution: 640x800
size: 135KB

Critiques are much apprishiated.

Julie Kenward
03-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Caleb, welcome to the macro/flora forum! Since you're new around here I want to point out the sizing instructions for images right above your post. Read through those and they'll help you get the best size image uploaded. (Yours was 3" x 4" at 187 resolution...it should be more like 7" x 10" at 72 resolution.)

That said, you have really good clarity on the bee/wasp. (I'm thinking yellow jacket but I'm not sure...) The lighting is nice the way it shows off the pollen on the bee but then you got a bit overexposed on the flower. I went through with my clone tool from Photoshop and set it to "darken" and 60% and went over the areas that were too bright. I also lowered the saturation of the yellows and greens to get them from being quite so fluorescent.

You're off to a good start...things to keep in mind are to try to get more of the "face" of the bee if possible and include maybe a bit more of the base of the flower next time. Be sure to check out those upload/sizing suggestions and that should help with the posterization that is going on in the background (BG) of your image.

Gus Cobos
03-20-2009, 09:49 PM
Hi Caleb,
I like the composition...agree with Julie on the techs. and the repost takes it over the top...welcome to the BPN family...looking forward to seeing more...:cool:

Karl Günter Wünsch
03-21-2009, 04:30 PM
Hi Caleb,
that's not a bee or wasp, it's a hover fly.
regards
Karl Günter

Caleb Royer
03-21-2009, 09:04 PM
Hi Caleb,
that's not a bee or wasp, it's a hover fly.
regards
Karl Günter

Thanks for telling me what that the fly is.
I never would have guest it was a fly.

Caleb Royer
03-25-2009, 06:16 PM
Caleb, welcome to the macro/flora forum! Since you're new around here I want to point out the sizing instructions for images right above your post. Read through those and they'll help you get the best size image uploaded. (Yours was 3" x 4" at 187 resolution...it should be more like 7" x 10" at 72 resolution.)

That said, you have really good clarity on the bee/wasp. (I'm thinking yellow jacket but I'm not sure...) The lighting is nice the way it shows off the pollen on the bee but then you got a bit overexposed on the flower. I went through with my clone tool from Photoshop and set it to "darken" and 60% and went over the areas that were too bright. I also lowered the saturation of the yellows and greens to get them from being quite so fluorescent.

You're off to a good start...things to keep in mind are to try to get more of the "face" of the bee if possible and include maybe a bit more of the base of the flower next time. Be sure to check out those upload/sizing suggestions and that should help with the posterization that is going on in the background (BG) of your image.

About the resolution part, how exactly do I change that in PSE7:confused:

Caleb Royer
03-25-2009, 10:14 PM
Nevermind I figured it out.