PDA

View Full Version : An example of what not to do!!!

David Kennedy
01-27-2008, 02:05 PM
I just thought I would post this image because it is an example of something that can happen anytime, not just during panoramic image capture, and that is losing sight of what you're doing.

I was capturing the images needed to stitch this photograph together when a couple of people walking down the path in this image saw what I was doing and struck up a conversation with me. I was trying to split my time between conversing and photographing during a moment when this cloud layer was rapidly rolling across the horizon. By the time I realized what I had done, it was too late and the cloud had moved far away from where I wanted it.

What did I do incorrectly? I didn't take two more vertical photos to expand the left side of the frame!!! :eek:

It's a balancing act: being a polite, social person and paying attention to making your image. I failed to do that in this instance, when I should have asked that they please excuse me for 45 seconds as I captured all of the images I would need, not just most of them!

Canon 5D, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 1/25 sec. at f/8, ISO 200
Marina on Lake Michigan, Racine, Wisconsin, 2006

Robert Amoruso
01-28-2008, 09:19 PM
Good advice David. Many people just don't realize how split second getting the exact moment right can be for us photographers. I just ask them to wait. Sometimes I just ignore them if they interrupt when I am actively shooting and then respond when I finish at which time I explain what I am doing and why I ignored them at first.

Judd Patterson
01-28-2008, 10:24 PM
When reading your story I was afraid that you were going to say that you had some equipment stolen or damaged. I think that's my Miami-attitude showing through...I'm pretty vigilant and discrete when photographing around the local marina. :) There is certainly a careful balance that we must strike between photography, social interaction (think of it as outreach!), and awareness of surroundings.

David Kennedy
01-29-2008, 02:38 PM
When reading your story I was afraid that you were going to say that you had some equipment stolen or damaged. I think that's my Miami-attitude showing through...

How very Hobbes-ian of you :)